How to obtain an age related registration mark

In order to do this you need to be aware of:

Guidelines for the Registration of Rebuilt or Radically Altered Vehicles and Kit cars. (please search DVLA Website) This lays down the criteria for reconstructed classics where all (major) components have to be over 25 years old. These include forks, wheels and brakes, frame, engine and gearbox.

The word major is important, as cosmetic items such as side panels, mudguards, seat and petrol tank etc. the Club does not think are covered by this.

Also where components such as wheel rims, spokes, brake linings and tyres are replaced due to the original becoming un-roadworthy I do not feel they should be counted either. Provided your machine meets the criteria there is no reason why an age related registration mark will not be issued. Please note it is you responsibility to ensure that the machine if pre 1960 is in a roadworthy condition and meets the requirements of the Road Vehicles Regulations. The Club recommends that the vehicle is regularly tested by an independent person.

Documents to send to the DVLA

The machine has to be refurbished and ready to use before you can obtain an age related registration
A ‘Vehicle Report’ is required from the Club based on the photographic evidence supplied or from a physical inspection.
Form V112 Declaration of exemption from MoT if over 40 years old.
Form V627/1 Built up vehicle report if major components have been replaced. Note: all parts used have to be over 25 years old and of BSA origin.
V55/5 application form using the Clubs notes. You will need to obtain this form from the DVLA helpline 0300 790 6802 or download from the website. To download the instructions for filling in the V55/5 click here age related notes
You will need to include photocopy confirmation of your name and address using both parts of the photo card driving licence or 2 forms of identity.

Documents you can use to confirm your name include:

current paper driving licence, Passport, marriage certificate, decree nisi or absolute, birth certificate
Documents you can use to confirm your address include:
recent utility bill (within the last 3 months) – e.g. gas, electricity, water, landline phone bill, recent bank or building society statement (within the last 3 months), medical card, council tax bill for current year

First registration fee is currently £55
HMRC NOVA acknowledgement letter if the vehicle has been imported then it is subject to NOVA.

If you do not have a NOVA acknowledgement you will need to fill in a paper NOVA1 form. You can get a copy of this form by phoning HMRC’s VAT helpline on 0300 200 3700 (open Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 6.00 pm - closed weekends and bank holidays).
Please note: HMRC will accept a partially completed NOVA1 notification form by the current owner of the vehicle. Accompanied with the NOVA1 should be a letter of explanation and any information regarding the history of the vehicle. These may be invoices showing purchase in the UK, invoices for parts etc which will provide an audit of the vehicles history. HMRC accept that documentary evidence will be different for different projects, i.e. some vehicles will be barn finds, others restoration projects, however the aim is not to cause distress but to ensure that HMRC are aware of the vehicle and that you are able to achieve a UK vehicle registration with the DVLA so the vehicle can be legally used on UK Roads. The paper NOVA1 form and audit evidence should be sent to the following address:

Personal Transport Unit
HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1GD

The Club would also recommend that photographs of the complete machine, frame and engine numbers are also included.
If the DVLA are satisfied with the application they will issue an appropriate age related registration number. N.B. - Non-suffix numbers are issued on a non-transferable basis. The registration document should follow within six weeks.
Contact details for the DVLA:

The address is DVLA,
Swansea SA99 1BE,

telephone 0300 790 6802 or by going onto

Updated Aug 2020