Notes for Retention of existing Registration Marks

To continue with this process you will need documentary proof if you do not have any then the application will be refused as the DVLA are extremely unlikely to accept an application. In this situation you are advised to apply for an age related registration mark.

Acceptable documentary evidence is:

  1. Old Green and Buff Log Books

  2. Pre 1985 tax discs

  3. Pre 1985 MoT certificates

  4. Pre1985 Bills of Sale and/or copies of The Original Registration Records.The original registration records were placed in archives in some, but not all of the former licensing authorities. Generally the larger conurbations destroyed their records. Click here for a list of existing Registration Authorities.

The DVLA now have a requirement that any documentary evidence has to show the frame number of the vehicle claiming the registration.

Declaration: I have read the Data Protection Statement on page 4 and agree to my details being held on a computer and signed the statement on page 4. Without this the application cannot be processed.

When can I apply?

At any time, but the machine should be substantially complete; authorisation to re-register cannot be given on disassembled machines.

The changing of engines to one of a same type or period is generally acceptable but radically altering a vehicle with modern components will not be accepted. Please write in if there is any doubt.

What do I need to do?

Vehicles not registered with the D.V.L.A. - You will need to obtain the following forms from the DVLA helpline 0300 700 6802 or

Form V765 and Form V55/5.

Please note that the DVLA now request two forms of identity with the V55/5. This is just for new registrations and is not needed for this process.

For instructions on how to fill in the V55/5 click here.

All applications under this process are now registered as “Historic” taxation class (Question 2 on the V55/5). Unless the retention is for a motorcycle produced by the BSA Company during the late 1970’s and early 1980’s in which case it will be Bicycle

Complete and send with the following documents:-

1 Clear photographs of both sides of the machine.

On the back of this photograph should be endorsed with the following:-
I certify that this photograph is a true likeness of the machine bearing registration
mark (registration)
Frame number
Engine number
Date (when photo was taken)
Failure to do this will result in the application being returned. Mark on the photos the position of the engine and frame numbers.

2 The old style log book.

The Club is now authorised to produce copies of the original material. However the DVLA have indicated that any documentary evidence submitted to them will not be accepted if it is laminated. I will need to see the original of the logbook so I can copy it and authorise its use with the DVLA. It will be sent back to you.


Other documentary evidence showing a direct link between the frame number and the registration mark.

The Club is now authorised to produce copies of the original material. However the DVLA have indicated that any documentary evidence submitted to them will not be accepted if it is laminated.

3 Rubbings of the engine and frame numbers.

This is to prevent fraudulent applications digital photographs are acceptable with the rubbings.

Vehicles registered under an age related mark

You will need form V765 only.

Complete and send with:-

Photographs completed as above.

The new style registration document (V5C) bearing the age related number.

The old style log book. (See note about photocopies above.)


Other documentary evidence to show a direct link between the frame number and the registration mark.

(See note about acceptable evidence and photocopies above.)

Rubbings of the frame and engine numbers.

(See note about rubbings/digital photographs above)

Do not send any Certificate of insurance or fee for licensing the vehicle as they will only be returned to you.

What happens then?

The documents will be inspected and a report prepared as to whether an inspection of the vehicle is required. A copy of the machine report, including anything arising as a result of the inspection, will be sent to the applicant and the DVLA with our decision.

All applications will be forwarded to the D.V.L.A.

When you receive the V5C you can license the machine at the Post Office using a form V10 in the normal way. You will need to fill in a form V112 ‘Declaration of Exemption from MoT’ for those vehicles manufactured prior to 1st January 1960. The vehicle will only subject to Continuous Registration once the first vehicle excise application has been activated.

For those machines licensed under an age related number. Current MOT certificates will have to be sent to the D.V.L.A. to be amended.

The new registration document will show that the registration mark is NOT transferable to any other vehicle.

These points are important so read them

1. Making a false statement on the application and the photographs can render the applicant liable to prosecution

2. The D.V.L.A. always retain the right to refuse an application. The Club can only recommend not instruct. Reasons for refusal will be given however further discussion will not be entered into. Extra evidence in support of a case can be presented at no extra cost where an application has been refused on lack of evidence grounds, but the D.V.L.A. retain the right to refuse an application.

3. The fee is non-returnable, in the event of a refusal the Club will issue a dating certificate to enable an age related number to be obtained, so be sure that the evidence is sufficient before sending your application! If necessary write first.
Queries will not be answered on the telephone.

4. It is not the intention of the Club to inspect all machines; however the Club reserves the right to call for an inspection. If travelling expenses are to be incurred by the Club then you will be advised of the cost before the inspection takes place.

5. Proof of Club membership is required if the reduced rate is to be applied.

6. The Club can process other types of vehicles, however it is not our intention to do so, and individual fee rates will apply along with a compulsory inspection of the vehicle. You would be advised to inspect the approved list of Clubs for a more suitable Organisation.

7.Data Protection Statement

The information which you provide in this form and any other information obtained or provided during the course of your application for retention of registration will be used solely for the purpose of processing your application (including payment processing). The data will not be shared with any third party for marketing or commercial purposes other than the DVLA.

What does it cost?

£20 for B.S.A. Owners Club members and £25 for non-members. If a vehicle inspection is required then any extra cost will be agreed in advance with the applicant. All correspondence and applications initially should be sent to :-

Mr Steve Foden, BSAOC Machine Dating Officer
PO Box 111
CH28 9DA

You can now pay online:-
Bank - NatWest,
Account name BSAOC Library Account,
Sort Code 01-10-01,
Account Number 65622960.
Please use your last name and postcode as reference and repeat on this form. This enables us to find you in the bank account and so process your application quicker.