firebird

Started by asjc, 08 Jul, 2018, 08:38

Previous topic - Next topic

asjc

morning all, I have just dragged my 1969 firebird out of a 18 year hibernation and loving having it back on the road.  I now need to do some of the little jobs that I failed to do then, it has the same shaped tank as the starfire, does anybody know if it is the same tank? as I need a support bracket that goes under the front, I made on in the 90's but wasn't the best , am told this is an unavailable part.
Anybody know how many were made and if they all went to the states?  Apologies if this is covered elsewhere.
Many thanks Adam

JulianS

The parts books for 1969 show the firebird tank and US Starfire tank as the same part - 82 9609.

Most Firebirds wet to the US but some went to the home market. Others went to Canada, Mexico, Sweden, Italy and other European markets.

asjc

I did think they were the same tank, thanks for checking, probably very easy to get a bracket with that info.
I have a feeling that this bike came from South Africa.  Thanks adam

Bess

Hi,
     The bracket is part number 82-9796, not many about.

I made one using some flat steel bar, folder and drilled with a clutch spring cup part number 68-3287, silver soldered in place for the rubber bush 68-8054. The clutch cup is uncannily similar to the brackets cup.

Or, buy this one and adjust to fit - https://www.britishbikebits.com/petrol-tank-bracket-4-gallon-bsa-a50-a65

Best wishes...

Mike Farmer

 :)

Wish I'd thought of that. Much easier than the way I did it.

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)

asjc

Quote from: Bess on 08 Jul, 2018, 14:57
Hi,
     The bracket is part number 82-9796, not many about.

I made one using some flat steel bar, folder and drilled with a clutch spring cup part number 68-3287, silver soldered in place for the rubber bush 68-8054. The clutch cup is uncannily similar to the brackets cup.

Or, buy this one and adjust to fit - https://www.britishbikebits.com/petrol-tank-bracket-4-gallon-bsa-a50-a65

Coincidentally that's pretty much the same as I made mine. Will need to make some5hing to get tank to fit better.
This bike needs some more teeth on its front sprocket, loves 55 but hates 70, it's a low mileage bike so believe the sprocket to be original, as it's far into the engine I haven't seen it for a while, any recommendations for a better sprocket gratefully received. Many thanks Adam

Best wishes...

Bess

Hi,
    Not sure what you mean by its front sprocket, I have looked in my workshop manual 00-4177 November 1969 (1969-1970 models)

The Firebird Scrambler sprockets are the same as a Lightning (US) model:

engine sprocket 28 teeth
clutch 58 teeth
final drive 20 solo and 18 sidecar
rear wheel 47 teeth.

Best wishes...

asjc

Quote from: Bess on 09 Jul, 2018, 18:36
Hi,
    Not sure what you mean by its front sprocket, I have looked in my workshop manual 00-4177 November 1969 (1969-1970 models)

The Firebird Scrambler sprockets are the same as a Lightning (US) model:

engine sprocket 28 teeth
clutch 58 teeth
final drive 20 solo and 18 sidecar
rear wheel 47 teeth.


Best wishes...

Thanks Bess, what I really want to achieve is a more relaxed ride at modern road speeds, I am quite mechanically sympathetic and hate revving the thing so hard just to do 70 mph, I am sure it will pull an extra couple of teeth on the front engine sprocket which will drop the revs when doing 70mph, will need to find the balance I suppose.
What is a realistic cruising speed on an a65? Thanks adam

A10 JWO

Might sound daft, what about a bigger wheel and or tyre. I will probably get shunned for this one  :-[

ChrisG

21t was also standard for the A65.  SRM make a 22t gearbox sprocket. This makes the A65 more manageable with standard gearing. Only problem is you either have to butcher the serations in the chaincase behind the clutch to get it in or slide out the gear cluster.
You lose a bit of acceleration, but not that noticeable.