New Member with an A65 project

Started by Ibby4585, 01 Feb, 2019, 13:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Ibby4585

Hi.

I'm brand new to the forum and to BSA ownership, I've just traded my last Jap bike in for a project 1965 BSA Lightning Rocket (I think) it's probably the worst kind of project to buy as the previous owner has got 70% into it and stopped. Some of the work looks good and some not so. Anyway I digress.

Aswell as the work needed to complete it , i need to buy some correct parts for it.

The first things I need are the correct front and rear mudguards and the correct rear Silencer.

Could anyone advise me on the best place to buy good quality repro parts please?

The front exhaust is the siamese two into one type and the diameter is 38.12 at the tail end.

I'm sure I will have far more questions as I get stuck into it further but for the time being any info on the exhaust and guards would be great.

Many thanks
Kris
Oxforshire
UK

ChrisG

Welcome Kris,
I would recommend Feked for the silencer and Autocycle Engineering for the Mudguards as they manufacture using the priginal tooling for parts supplied direct to the factory.
Good Luck
Chris

A10 JWO

Just fitted a full exhaust on my A65 got it from Armours, good quality and fit. Welcome.

Ibby4585

Many thanks just ordered the silencer from Feked.

Kris

Ibby4585

Hi. I have been trying to align the rear wheel correctly yesterday. As it's too far over to the right.

Can anyone show me or tell me the correct spacers on the left side of the hub that fit between the hub and the swingarm. Mine appear to be thick.




ChrisG

Hi Kris,
I don't think it should have a spacer even though it shows one in the parts list 68-6132. Mine doesn't and it all lines up correctly. Try yours without and see how it goes.
Chris

Ibby4585

Hi Chris.

Could you clarify, do you mean the spacer on the left spindle? So try it with just the tab from the rear brake inside the swingarm?

Cheers
Kris


Ibby4585

That's not going to work though is it? It will just bend the tab strap.

DerekAnderson8

Quote from: Ibby4585 on 02 Feb, 2019, 19:12
That's not going to work though is it? It will just bend the tab strap.

really?

the spacer shouldn't be in that side.

Try it with the complete assembly.

Ibby4585

Quote from: DerekAnderson8 on 02 Feb, 2019, 20:42
Quote from: Ibby4585 on 02 Feb, 2019, 19:12
That's not going to work though is it? It will just bend the tab strap.

really?

the spacer shouldn't be in that side.

Try it with the complete assembly.

Sorry bear with me , this is the first time I've had a bsa and only had it 24hours. Will have a go at different solutions. Without a picture I'm struggling to understand how to put it.

ChrisG


Hi Kris,
Try this. Looking from rear, bolt the brake drum assembly up with the alloy brake plate up against the swinging arm. Fit the wheel and the speedo drive and then there is room for the spacer on the right between the RH leg of the swinging arm and the speedo drive. you may need to prise it in slightly. All should be lined up and central.
Unfortunately I cant show you a picture as the only one I have of it assembled is too large for this website to handle. Also, my A50 is in bits at the moment.
Let us know how you get on.
Chris