Chaincase deep cuts

Started by ANNIS, 21 Jan, 2019, 18:56

Previous topic - Next topic

ANNIS

Hi,

My A7 Plunger has several deep cuts on the outside of both chain case and gearbox. Too deep to polish out, but what is best filler I can use to fill those cuts please?
Cuts where there when I acquired the bike before any queries on what I did too the bike!

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
Richard

bikerbob

I think that what you can get those cuts filled in professionally or have a go yourself using a product called Lumiweld it is quite straight forward to use but you must follow the instructions. The downside to either of these proccesses is you may still be able to see where the deep cuts have been filled in as the colour of the filler may not match the cases. The professional route copuld be your best option I have used Lumiweld on BSA cases and it does not match the colour of BSA alloy used in making the cases OK for any inside damage but can be seen on the outside after polishing.

AdrianS

The best repair is to find a good welder and let him fill the cuts with an alloy filler rod. I had a bantam chaincase that had a chunk out of it where the chain once snapped. A mate of mine welded it up in about a minute and filled in the defect and left me to finish it off. It was a b**tard to grind down - it was very had and alloy is good at clogging any grinding wheels. The end result was fine but was not a match to BSA alloy. If you want to go down the diy route using the low temp alloy rods that are quite cheap, you need to get the area you want to fill in very very clean to get a bond.

JulianS

I would consider finding a good replacement for both. They often come up on ebay.

Dean Southall

You could get the cuts filled with weld, polish smooth and get the parts powder coated to get an even colour close to original BSA alloy. They won't colour match the other alloy parts exactly but the difference will be leaas obvious maybe.

Or, leave as is and appreciate it wearing its history.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910