Timing side tab washer - plunger A10

Started by Jackson, 09 Jan, 2019, 15:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackson

Probably a daft question but I'm mystified.
I have a tab washer which fits between the oil pump helical drive on the crankshaft and a locking nut on the end of the shaft.
My problem is that the washer is circular with a tab on the inside which engages with a slot on the end of the crankshaft, but the outer of the washer is round and I fail to see how it can lock the nut unless I just bash it around a bit, which doesn't seem to be a good solution.
Any thoughts?
Adrian
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&hl=en-gb&q=a10+crankshaft+tab+washer+how+to+use&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjonpu2geHfAhX6SRUIHTrfBhUQBSgAegQICRAC&biw=1024&bih=729#imgrc=_1m0q5mTHqbNxM:

JOHN KAY

HI ADRIAN
NOT SURE WHAT TYPE WASHER YOU HAVE BUT GENERALLY YOU FIT IT UNDER THE NUT
TIGHTEN TO CORRECT TORQUE THEN  FOLD OVER THE WASHER AGAINST ONE OF  THE
FLATS OF THE NUT POSSIBLY LEVERING WITH A SCREWDRIVER FINISHING OFF WITH
CAREFUL USE OF MOLEGRIPS SOME MEMBERS MAY HAVE OTHER HELPFUL IDEAS  .
REGARDS JOHNBOY

JulianS

I stopped using that lock washer some years back and use loctite instead.

Bess

Hi,
    From BSA service sheets:

Jackson

Thanks very much everybody.
I thought of turning the side of the washer up, but this one is quite narrow and wouldn't give much purchase.
I'll use belt and braces by turning the washer up and applying loctite.
Regards,
Adrian

Mike Farmer

 :)

" When  I stripped my A50-someone (obviously seriously qualified) had welded the nut on. Good game???Ok now though.

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jackson

Well, at least it made sure it wouldn't come off!
What did you do?

Mike Farmer

 :)

Cut and carefully filed the nut away, leaving plenty of meat on the shank, then re-threaded it. Its OK so far.

Mike 8) 8) 8)