Super Rocket Tank transfer

Started by Singleton1963, 07 Jan, 2019, 15:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Singleton1963

Hello all Super Rocket owners.
I own a 1958 Super Rocket which I am in the process of getting ready for the beautiful summer we will be experiencing this year!
Is anyone able to tell me which is the correct fuel tank transfer, there seem to be two available, one of which states 'Big Valve'. My guess is that it doesn't really matter but don't want some fanatic telling me that I've got it wrong! (I guess we are all fanatics otherwise you wouldn't be reading this!)
You're help would be much appreciated.

A10 JWO

I hate those old Rockers that stand round your bike pointing at the wrong bolts and transfers. They always hunt in packs and normally their bikes were built by someone else. You put any transfer you like on it. Another restoration on the road is good news.  ;D

JulianS

The big valve head came in on engine CA10 9696, according to a BSA parts service bulletin dated July 1959.

The US catalogue for 1960 mentions a big valve head and a new tank transfer for the Super Rocket. Dont see any mention of a new transfer in the 1960 UK catalogue.

Confound the rivet counters tell them they are wrong and anyway you dont care what they think.

Singleton1963

Ha ha, with you 100%. This wonderful forum has helped me so much and I have managed to find the answers to so many questions whilst restoring my bike, but can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. Tempted to put a totally wrong one on just to wind them up! If anyone does know I would appreciate it, as curiosity as much as anything else. Thank you.

Singleton1963

Thank you Julian for the info. Mine is an earlier engine number than 9696 so I presume it is not a big valve? It does however have the monobloc carb and the info you posted had the needle setting stated, so thanks again as this was going to be another question I needed to ask.

bikerbob

This is a copy of a page of BSA transfers taken from a 1997 handbook  it only shows one petrol tank transfer for the Super Rocket

Singleton1963

Thanks Bob, much appreciated. So........I always thought that all Super Rockets had bigger valves as this was one of the things that differentiated them from the Road Rocket, is this not the Case?

JulianS


The RR and SR inlet valves were the same until the 1959 SR increase, the SR had improved inlet tract over the RR which gave it a power boost. The US market got the Super Rocket in the early part of 1957 whilst the UK still had the Road Rocket.

The very late heads, marked 67 1571 had a larger still inlet valve.

Mike Farmer

 :)

The tyre kickers and other experts are going to get something serious to discuss when my next project is finished(or if) I had these same disbaraging remarks when I "did" tractors. Spraying a vintage fordson a delicate shade of pink sorta shut em up. My Tractor===my choices.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Singleton1963

Thank you all for your comments, all clear now. But most importantly thank you for reminding me that it's my bike so I'll do what the hell i like.
Cheers all.