A10 rear brake orientation?

Started by berniej, 29 Dec, 2018, 16:58

Previous topic - Next topic

berniej

I'm looking at a possible purchase of a '60 A10 and wondered if this layout is correct?

It seems to be 'Type 3' wheel but not sure that the position of the brake arm is correct?

Thanks,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

A10 JWO

I have looked at a few on ebay, don't look right at all ? Can't see how you would get a smooth operation with all those angles. Don't make it a bad bike !!

DerekAnderson8

 :o

brake stay should be on the adjuster peg its 90 degrees out, doesn't make it a bad bike as has been said.


berniej

Ah, got it - that makes sense - looks like no chain on it too so could be the rear wheel is just loosely assembled.

Many thanks for your replies.

Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

JulianS

The lever on the brake plate looks like it is from the early A65 full width rear brake, which took a cable with the finger adjuster at the lever end and the cable abutment, if it is A65, would not be threaded.  The A65 plate has a larger cam spindle diameter.

A10 assembly below.

berniej

Thanks again - hoping to view tomorrow although the vendor says the frame prefix is GA2 which I don't think can be right although that's what is on the V5. Could be a mis-read of GA7 I suppose but it's sounding a bit odd to me.

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

Dean Southall

This would have been a good post for 1st April.

The brake arm spindle should be at 9 o'clock .
Given the position of the brake plate it clearly does not have a torque arm fitted!
The Torque arm attaches to the brake plate by the same modified bolt that the cable adjuster screws into.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

berniej

Yes, suspect wheel loosely assembled for a photo. Might be going to look at it today but puzzled about that GA2 frame prefix - still hoping it's a badly stamped 7.

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

JulianS

Sometimes the 7 can be misread as a 2 or a Z.

berniej

Yes, I called the seller again and he's positive it's GA2 and said it looked like the frame could have been restamped.

Frame number does match the V5 but I've decided to leave it. It's on gumtree if anyone is interested - registered with DVLA as a 650 and has an A10 engine number in the V5 but fitted with a 1960 A7SS engine.

I'll keep looking for an A7SS project though as I rather fancy one  :)

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project

DerekAnderson8

i saw that, and wondered why it was so cheap.

it looks alright in pics and if numbers match in log book i wouldn't have an issue.

;)

berniej

#11
I may have played it too safe but a re-stamped frame with a wrong prefix made me wonder if I might have trouble if and when I came to re-sell it.

Besides - I have way too many other projects sitting in the workshop - thinking about it, one of them is a C15 with a C15F frame prefix - which is definitely wrong!! Ho Hum!

Cheers,
Bernie
'49 M21/B31 hybrid
'56 M21 combination
B40 Super Star
A50CC project