bsa a65 thunderbolt tank

Started by finn, 02 Dec, 2018, 16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

finn

hi any one  purchased  bsa tank from india /opinions on tanks fit  quality

A10 JWO

Never risked buying anything from there, a long way and a long time in the post and returns could be a nightmare. May be a good product.

Mike Farmer

 :)

Yep I bought a tank for A50.
It arrived with a scratch in the chrome. It was replaced within a short time.

After very little use the lining broke up and it was necessary to have it relined. This pushed to overall cost to in excess of £400

But as its the only place you'll get a new one????Like the man said "you takes yer pick" and hopes

Mike 8) 8) 8)

griffo

Had a couple and no problems. Have one for sale at the moment....   Griff
Safe riding saves pinch marks on the seat...

bikerbob

I bought one last year for my A65 1963. I did have some issues with it but with a bit of fettling it now fits OK. The first problem was the fitment that goes in the center of the tank to hold the chrome strips and fasten the tank to the frame was a tight fit but managed to grind a small amount off the hole in the tank to get it to fit but the hole in the tank was slightly out about 1/8" so had to realign the chrome strips to suit easily done. the next problem was the fixings in the tank for the knee pads  were not correct so had to modify the brackets but as they are hidden behind the pads not a problem. The next problem was the bushes for the petrol taps were fitted to suit the twin carb lightning model which meant they were about an inch and a half further forward than they should have been but it did not have the recesses for the twin carbs not a major problem but had to make new fuel lines. One of the reasons that I bought this tank was that most of the tanks that you see on ebay have the folding petrol filler cap not many have my type which is the screw on cap which again needed to be worked on to get the cap to fit. Finally I bought a ready painted tank which has a very good paint job and good chrome, my bike is blue but I only had a choice of black or silver so I chose silver because it is a good match for my Avon fairing, panniers and top box all being silver, not original but I like it I may in the future respray the tank to match the rest of the tinware but that is for the future I am happy as it is for the moment. It would also have helped if when they sprayed the tank that they blocked the petrol filler as quite a bit of paint went inside the tank which did prove a bit troublesome to remove. I did send an email to the dealer explaining the problems that I had which in my opinion  all could easily be rectified with a little more care during manufacture if they only had the proper tank fittings to try as they made the tank but I did not get a reply. This was the second tank I have bought that came from India the first was to far off spec to fit the tank badges would not fit as the holes were out of alignment and you cannot alter the holes also that tank had been very rusty inside and had been treated with what looked like red lead paint but you could see how badly corroded the inside was before the paint was applied that tank I bought off CD Autos who gave me a complete refund including postage and they arranged for the faulty tank to be picked up. The second tank I bought off ebay from a UK dealer again Fair Trade  DealsI think they call them they are based in Birmingham.

Dean Southall

I got one for my A10 a couple of years ago. Cost half of what I paid to have one chromed and painted. Can't fault it.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

finn

thanks for all replies   still worried/ them tanks do look nice /        look o on jay lenos you tube the indian guy who built a v twin bullet bike  shows there are some good  fabricators out there