A65 Sprocket distance peice

Started by Mike Farmer, 16 Oct, 2018, 19:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Farmer

 :)

Hi All.

I'm trying to obtain item part No 68-207 Distance piece. Can anyone point me in the right direction or have one that I can borrow to have a couple made up. Or indeed the dimensions would be as good.

This is what happens with boxes of bits, the most obscure bits are usually missing.

Regards Mike 8) 8) 8)

Bess

Hi Mike,
             I had trouble finding a spacer, I got a decent used 1 from the US on Ebay eventually. I tried to have some manufactured, their outer diameter is ground and the whole piece is hardened because the edge is in contact with the oil seal, so the cost was prohibitive.

I thought I had the old one but cant find it at the moment.

Best wishes...

DerekAnderson8

I am trying to see what it looks like mike, if i can find one i will let you know.

cheers

derek


Mike Farmer

 :)

Yes that's the one. Thank you. Perfect I need two so I'll just buy these.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Mike Farmer

 :)

Hi agen. I;ve just been mulling over the points about making one. As I see it, as a spacer it would not move---under normal circumstances it would be tight between the centre spool of the bearing and the drive sprocket  and I believe its the same circumference as the OD of the centre spool. It would of course turn in unison so there should be no friction(or absolutely minimal amount)

I recon that having one machined out of EN16 or EN24 should be satisfactory it would also be possible to have it case hardened if necessary. Boil it in battery acid for half an hour or so. Ho Ho Ho Shall still purchase from USofA

Thoughts please


Mike 8) 8) 8)

DerekAnderson8

i will have a look i may have one in my vast spares selection  ;) (not)

i am off today and going to be in garage working on A65

cheers

derek

Bess

Hi Mike,
             The spacer rotates with the knife edge of the crankshaft oil seal touching it. The outer diameter needs to be accurate and the best finish you can get to ensure a good and lasting seal.

Best wishes...

Mike Farmer

 :)hi Bess

thanks for that. I have just ordered from USofA. I'm just going to measure up and see what difficulties would be thrown up with making one. Not that I shall go down that route now.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Bess

Hi Mike,
             This might have come too late, this company manufactures spacers for the A10 they might make some for your A65's:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-A7-A10-RGS-CRANKSHAFT-BEARING-SPACER-67-1138-UK-MADE-SJ301-/112821704667

The 1962-63 model has the 68-0207 spacer, there are a number of options for the 1965 model to help with the clutch alignment:

68-0203  1" x 1 5/8" x 0.360"
68-0204  1" x 1 5/8" x 0.375"
68-0207  1" x 1 5/8" x 0.396"

Best wishes...

Mike Farmer

 :)
Thanks again for your interest. Like you say a bit late for this time but all knowledge is good and valued. I shall now make a note in my manual so that IF I ever do another etc.

Or whoever next owns the manual. The guy in USofA only had two(he says) and he's had them forever.

So now I can do both engines.

Incidently--something in the back of my mind is saying "fit spacer and then shim for clutch alignment" ??? but its way back knowledge.

Regards  Mike 8) 8) 8)

Bess

Hi Mike,
            You are correct in thinking fit spacer then shim.

The 65' model offers smaller spacers if the alignment needs the sprocket nearer the engine.

Best wishes...

Mike Farmer

 :)

Distance pieces have now arrived, so one more step is completed.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

DerekAnderson8

Quote from: Mike Farmer on 23 Oct, 2018, 11:38
:)

Distance pieces have now arrived, so one more step is completed.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

That was good service then!

;)

Mike Farmer

 :)

Hi Derek. Yes thanks to your eagle eyes.

Mike 8) 8)