BSA A65 oil union

Started by teebee67, 10 Sep, 2018, 16:24

Previous topic - Next topic

teebee67

Might be a silly question but the oil pipe union has 3 inlet/outlets on it. Obviously one is the inlet, one is the return but what is the other one for?

JulianS


teebee67

Thanks for the quick response Julian. This is an A65 engine in a Metisse frame (race bike). When I got it the 3rd pipe had a short piece of tubing on it which was blanked off. The rockers are fed from a T piece in the return line. Does this make any sense to anybody? If I return to original I take it the rocker feed from the smaller diameter pipe?
Thanks in advance.

JulianS

The original A65 rocker feed was taken from the oil tank, but, BSA said, to improve cam lubrication the take off was moved to the union on the crankcase. Yours has been modified again by a previous owner.

teebee67

Thanks Julian, that makes sense as the Metisse frame is "oil in the frame" type. Think I will go back to feeding the rockers from the union and use the T piece to split the main return into 2 and then 3 as per Metisse practice.
Thanks again.