A65 1971 mettalic "rustling" noise from the transmission.

Started by boriscross, 19 Aug, 2018, 09:49

Previous topic - Next topic

boriscross

I have just finished re-building a 1971 produced A65 L and am on the verge of getting it on the road. I do however have an issue in that there is a metallic "rustling" (best description) from the transmission until the clutch leaver is pulled in. Using the stethoscope method I've think I have narrowed the source to the outer timing cover. Has anyone any experience of something similar and or know what it might be or where to look?

A10 JWO

Did you change the outer gearbox bearing, could make that noise ? Hope it's nothing. Just rebuilt my 1972, changed every bearing that Kidderminster M/C's could sell me.

Bess

Hi,
    Did you check the endfloat on the gearbox layshaft?

Best wishes...

boriscross

I changed all the bearings and set the end float up as required.