Removal of snubber in fork leg

Started by otto-cycle, 23 Dec, 2018, 10:53

Previous topic - Next topic

otto-cycle

Hi,

I have a 1959 A10 Super Rocket and the forks are badly worn. The bores of the fork leg tubes have some signs of corrosion and are also badly worn where the bushes on the stanchions are in contact with the fork leg. The forks have been fully stripped and I am planning to get the two fork legs honed out by 0.020" to clean them up and then make a new set of bushes to fit. The only issue I can see at the moment is to remove the snubber at the base of the fork leg, see image attached. This is required in order to allow the hone tool to reach the base of the fork leg and ensure the bore is parallel for the length of stroke of the stanchion.

If anyone has removed this item and has the dimensions I would appreciate it, otherwise it is a bit of suck it and see with making a tool to extract the snubber assembly.

Cheers

JulianS

The damper cone at the bottom is not detachable it is fixed in the forged base by a horizontal pin at manufacture, before the tubes are welded in place. The pin does not show in the cross section diagram.

The photo shows a scrap fork bottom where I have exposed the pin. It may be partially covered by the assembly welding.

otto-cycle

Thanks for the information. Thought they were removable as I have seen a couple of fork legs without the damper cone fitted. Will just make life a little more interesting whilst cleaning the legs up.

Many thanks