Cleaning up a BSA A10 steering stem/head

Started by piston jockey, 13 Nov, 2018, 07:57

Previous topic - Next topic

piston jockey

Hey guys,

I've got a question regarding my BSA A10 Swing Arm 1954 steering stem/head.
There's a piece of sheet metal (see image) covering the downtubes around the steering head it self.
Why is this added?  I guess to add extra strength....
Early BSA A10 1951,1952,.. didn't have this.

As i have already altered the whole subframe (more narrow) I would like to continue to clean up the whole frame...so...would it be safe to remove this?

Anybody got any experience with this?

Grtz

Piston Jockey



Mike Farmer

 :)

Don't see a problem removing it. But suggest you might like to check whether the frame No is stamped on it before you "bin" it.

Mike 8) 8)

piston jockey

Thanks Mike  :)

The frame number is on the stem it self and not on the sheet metal.
If it won't effect the handling i'll go ahead removing it...

Any ideas why it was added in the first place?

grtz

Piston Jockey

bikerbob

I would strongly advise you not to remove it BSA would not have went to the bother of making it and fitting it if it was not required I think apart from it maybe for strength it also acts as a guide for the wiring on my A7. The frames that you mention 1951- 1952 are entirely different frames they are plunger frames.

A10 JWO

Put there for a good reason based on production experience of the past. That's my view.

piston jockey

Thanks guys,

I'm going to remove the sheet metal and fabricate an ecstatically more pleasing piece that will go around the stem.
That way it's the best of both worlds!

grtz
Piston Jockey