A50/65 gearbox

Started by Mike Farmer, 13 Sep, 2018, 10:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Farmer

 :)

Just a quick "Q"

Is it possible to remove and replace an A50 gearbox in situ, or would it be adviseable to take the motor out of the frame. Just another job that I've never done and I can imagine all sorts of lining up probs with it in situ.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Bess

Hi,
    It can be done.

Best wishes...

Mike Farmer

 :)

Hi Bess.

I spose at the end of the day if all else fails I might just need to remove the motor to re-assemble it.

Cheers

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Bess

Hi Mike,
            Very true, it will be lighter as well so no need to bother the partner  ;)

Best wishes...

Mike Farmer

 :)

How about a thought to assist before I start to do the job. The problem I have is that occasionally the kick start "jams". Stop absolutely solid. The cure---put it in gear and rock it very slightly and it clears straight away. It is not fouling anywhere on the clutch spring side, That is there is no metal to metal contact.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

Bess

Hi Mike,
             Worth checking the kickstart bushes, pinion and pinion bush. If they are sloppy the kick start lever has a tendency to lock up.

Best wishes...


Mike Farmer

 :)

Hi Bess

Thanks 8) 8)

Mike

bikerbob

I completely stripped my A65 gearbox and renewed all the bearings and reassembled it without removing the unit from the frame.

Mike Farmer

 :)

That's Brul. Thanks for that

Mike 8) 8)