A10 sump plate studs

Started by JOHNSTONE, 07 Jul, 2018, 13:27

Previous topic - Next topic

JOHNSTONE

What is the thread size of the part of the stud that goes into the crank case and if required what size helicoil insert would I need .Thanks in anticipation.
Richard

Jackson

According to Draganfly they are 1/4, threaded CEI at one end and Whit at the other (presumably the crank case end)

EDDIE SIMPSON

the standard studs crack the sump alloy when tightened imo. i only use 1/4 whitworth studding. aprox 1 1/2" long. cut the head of some old timing case screws.
avoids sump welding repairs

RESTORER

The studs into the casing are definitely whitworth.  You will find that for all the threads tapped into ally, casing joint, rocker covers etc, BSA used whitworth.
Restorer.
1954 A10 Golden Flash, Swinging Arm

Marktomblin

I have fitted several of these they are 1/4 whit I use stud lock lock tight and only tighten them gently the locktight does the rest to remove double nut and heat casing .
markT.