Big mistake

Started by Jackson, 03 Jul, 2018, 17:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackson

Any thoughts would be welcome, including any ideas for crankcase repair near Huddersfield.

Just about to start putting the A10 (plunger) back together and decided to take the primary chain adjuster off. The screw wouldn't budge, it was actually bent. Decided to drill it out. Too big to fit under my pillar drill so decided to put it in the vice and do it by hand. Yep - you've guessed -not straight. I've drilled through the screw and into the bottom of the chaincase. Still got the screw stuck in there., but with a neat hole inside the chaincase - part in the screw and part in the chaincase next to it.
My only thought is to get someone (beyond my current abilities) to drill the whole thing out, fill the hole and then drill and retap it for my new adjuster screw.

Not really expecting much help, but need to tell someone!
Adrian.

Armouryroad650

There is an engineer next to Tony Archer, seat recoverer by the football stadium, I think his name is Bennett. Tony address is Unit 7D Riverside works, Bradley Mill Road, Huddersfield, HD1 6PQ hope you get sorted.

Jackson

Thanks, that's very useful. I've sorted the problem now, but I'm sure a local engineer will be helpful in the future.
Sorted it by getting a friend to weld a nut onto the adjuster and using a combination of heat and force to get the adjuster out. The hole doesn't go far in the boss on the chaincase and I don't think it will leak oil.