Steering bearings replacement - A65

Started by Charles R, 03 Jul, 2018, 13:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles R

It's clear that tapered bearings are better suited than the original ball bearings in the A65L (1970) steering assembly.

Replacement bearings are available, but they seem rather expensive at over £50 for the pair.

Is there a more economic solution?

Does anyone know the dimensions for these bearings?

Cheers, Charles
My bike: 1970 A65L (pre OIF) - Basket Case with many issues

Jackson

I've just replaced them on my plunger A10. Using the SRM kit - about £43 I think and a good deal of advice from Greybeard and others on the forum, but that was about getting the old ones off. I believe that they are the same on both bikes. There is a small amount of machining to do on mine which you won't have to do. They seem excellent. Went in a treat after freezing. I haven't ridden it yet - need to finish rebuilding the engine.
Adrian.

A10 JWO

The A65 OIF Bearings are £12 a pair on ebay. I bought a set last winter, they were a decent make; thrown the box away so don't remember the make sorry.

Charles R

Thanks guys,

The bearings from SRM are just over £49.

The OIF steering bearings, I believe, are a different size and will not fit.  My A65L is pre-OIF.

Cheers, Charles
My bike: 1970 A65L (pre OIF) - Basket Case with many issues

Ken Oaff

oif steering head bearings are under £5 each off ebay

NTN bearings which are half the price of Timkin



Charles R

Took the plunge & bought the headstock taper bearings from SRM at £54 inc postage.

Quite expensive, but I hope they'll be fit and forget!

Charles
My bike: 1970 A65L (pre OIF) - Basket Case with many issues

Ken Oaff

somebody must have the bearing numbers for these

once you have the bearing numbers any bearing stockist can supply them

JulianS

They are not a standard size, the outers are machined to fit the frame and the inners to fit the yoke stem.