A65 crankshaft shim size "calculation"

Started by Charles R, 29 Jun, 2018, 21:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles R

I read in the Clymer service & repair handbook that the crankshaft end float can be calculated from dimensions stamped on the crankshaft and on the case.

The stamping on the crankshaft flywheel shows 0.792" whilst the stamping on the case shows 0.369".  The difference is, therefore, 0.423" which is clearly wrong.

Have I misinterpreted the statement in the Clymer book (page 56)?

I've attached photos of the two stampings.

Cheers, Charles
My bike: 1970 A65L (pre OIF) - Basket Case with many issues

Servodyne

Hi there
The crankcase stamping you are looking for is at the front of the engine below the front engine mount. The one in your photo is one half of the matching crankcase numbers.
Cheers
Jim

Charles R

Thanks Jim

I feel a bit of a dummy falling for the crankcase number!

The stamping on the  crankcase is 803, ie 0.803", see photo.

I should also have read the Clymer book more carefully as it does state "subtract the shaft number from the case number", whereas I did it the other way!

So, the answer is now a sensible 0.011".  When I get round to reassembling the engine, I'll need to make sure I have shims to achieve 0.002" float, so 0.009" or thereabouts.

Thanks again for your extremely helpful reply.

Cheers, Charles
My bike: 1970 A65L (pre OIF) - Basket Case with many issues

Caulky


Charles R

Thanks Caulky.

Yes, your stampings are the same as mine.

Interesting & useful video clip as I had wondered how to "move" the crankshaft to establish end float.

Cheers, Charles
My bike: 1970 A65L (pre OIF) - Basket Case with many issues