Dandy spares

Started by John Woolridge, 03 Jun, 2018, 20:54

Previous topic - Next topic

John Woolridge

I have just bought a rather sad Dandy as a project and have today started to strip it down, my question is is there a regular supplier of spares or is it just a case of someone selling bits now and again either on here or eBay etc. thanks.

AWJDThumper

Hi John. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get spares for a Dandy from the regular suppliers but, fortunately, second hand spares are generally not too difficult to find with a bit of patience. What's the general state of the bike and are there any particular spares you think you might be needing?

John Woolridge

Thank you thumper, I think the headlight surround and reflector might be past it ,not sure yet, I will need a new light switch, handlebar grip and saddle. I think the rest maybe just elbow grease and re-chroming.

AWJDThumper

That doesn't sound too bad - if you keep your eye on eBay, a surprising number of NOS parts do appear from time to time including headlight reflectors. Are you going to have to get the wheel rims re-chromed?

John Woolridge

Yes or re-rimmed. The chrome has peeled off and the rims are quite pitted so I don't know if they can be saved that's an exploration a little bit further down the line. Thank you for your time. John.

AWJDThumper

I don't think replacement rims are available in the required size - hence the need to consider re-chroming them.

John Woolridge

I've just phoned a wheel building firm in Coleshill Warwicks and they can rebuild with new 16in rims no problem, not cheap about £280 the pair, I've yet to search for re-chroming yet.

AWJDThumper

Do you actually mean 16" rims because the Dandy's rims are 15"!

Dean Southall

In case you did not know there are two styles of saddle for the Dandy, reflecting the different designs of petrol tank they sit on top of. I had the wrong one on mine which worked but the support springs did not sit in the tank where they should.
BSA: turning ordinary men into mechanics since 1910

John Woolridge

It's good ere innit, you are learning all the time. I measured the wheel and it looks near enough 16 inch but checking the tyre it does say 250/15 so it must be 15".
Thank you Dean I didn't know ther were two types of saddle, mine (scrap) looks like a large bicycle saddle just a metal frame with a rubberishshaped seat stretched over it. I have googled Dandy now and there are bikes with thickish pad like a single motorbike seat so I will have to look for a big bike saddle. Thank you for taking the time to write.

AWJDThumper

The diameter of the wheel has to be measured at the inside shoulder on which the tyre bead fits. The external diameter of the wheel will be ~1" larger. The situation may have changed but when I checked with the suppliers a couple of years ago (including Central Wheel Components of Coleshill) they didn't do any 15" x 2.5" rims - hence the need to get them re-chromed.

JulianS

#11
First photo shows 1957 Dandy brochure illustration.

Second from 1959.

Shows  2 versions of seat and other differences including leg shields.

John Woolridge

Hi again, mine is definitely the later one of the two. John.

AWJDThumper

Very few of the Dandy's produced had the sculptured seat as opposed to the the flat deeply padded one, possibly on those produced in 1959. My 1960 Dandy has the latter type as did the earlier ones. Unfortunately, the sculptured ones are extremely rare and difficult to find - hopefully, you have enough of the original seat to get restored.

John Woolridge

Good morning, it gets better and better, it looks as though I will be permanently glued to the computer to catch these things as they appear before someone else does..John.