Gold star silencer

Started by Fyfe, 05 Sep, 2026, 09:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Fyfe

Are there any issues on fitting a gold star silencer on a 57 b33 using original down pipe? Would prefer to fit one with welded bracket.Will the kickstart foul the silencer at any point?

neil1964

It depends on which pipe you use, presumably 1 3/4" swept back type?
I have a '55 B series that has evolved from long rod ZB34GS top end that now sports an ABSAF600 (short rod, large fin) engine.  This had std gearbox and footrests, no issue with kickstart.
I ran it initially with an Armours long pipe and Burgess silencer that I had from B33 which was straight swap as ZB34GS long rod engine, but when I put the shorter engine in the pipe had the bracket in wrong relationship to the exhaust port (it fitted but needed offset bracket). I then fitted a full DBD 'twitter' type system from Chris Williams (just before he shut up shop).  This gave a significant power increase over 4500rpm but was a lot noisier requiring great restraint in built up areas.  The kickstart just clipped the silencer so I had to mount the front pipe bracket hard against engine plates (previously the engine bolt was tightened up and the pipe went on after the first nut with second nut and lockwasher.  Doing that and shimmying the silencer back a smidge gave me clearance (I also had to use shallow headed nut on the welded on silencer clamp.
I've since had Armours  supply a slightly longer swept back pipe to allow me to use the Burgess silencer again on this bike (the 600 engine does not lack oomph on this bike which is set up as tourer with std bars and rearsets with 5 speed Nova box) and the loud silencer and other swept back pipe have gone on my '60 DBD34 Clubmans (yes it actually started out as a Clubmans!!).
So yes you should be able to fit it (assuming you have a folding kickstart with sufficient offset.