Sidecar on late 60s single frame?

Started by iansoady, 13 Sep, 2025, 10:36

Previous topic - Next topic

idie


iansoady

I could have bought them but at over £700 decided to go down the home-made route. And I think mine are better looking!
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA / Suzuki DZR400 / Steib S501
2016 Herald Classic 250

limeyrob

I would have more faith in yours, some of the off-the-shelf ones look questionable.

iansoady

These are the clamps David Angel sells. I think they're a bit feeble looking myself, plus you can't both have them tight and at the right angle. £72!

Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA / Suzuki DZR400 / Steib S501
2016 Herald Classic 250

iansoady

These are the struts painted and adjusted. 10" sidecar wheel lead, 3/4" toe-in and about 1/4"lean out at the tyre. The latter of course will change depending on load. I had to modify the side panel to clear the brackets but it had already been chopped at the bottom to clear the exhaust. I also took the opportunity to align the Dzus(?) brackets so the panel went on easily.

Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA / Suzuki DZR400 / Steib S501
2016 Herald Classic 250

DAVE BRADY


iansoady

Still a fair way to go Dave. The sidecar body is booked in for a paint job to match the tank / sidepanels on 2nd March, return a week later, by which time I hope the mechanical bits will be sorted out. So fingers crossed first ride mid to late March.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA / Suzuki DZR400 / Steib S501
2016 Herald Classic 250

V500

Quote from: iansoady on 12 Feb, 2026, 15:15 These are the struts painted and adjusted.

Blimey, no chance of that doing a George and Mildred!

iansoady

Or even a Wallace & Gromit! The only thing I have a slight concern about is the quality of my welding, but it would need at least 2 simultaneous failures to cause anything catastrophic.

I've just been sorting out where the 2 rads go as the nearside one wants to occupy the same space as the forward upper strut.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA / Suzuki DZR400 / Steib S501
2016 Herald Classic 250

iansoady

Rads sorted out and first trial fit of the body. The worst bit at the moment is that the sidecar body seems to be wider than the chassis was desgned for even though I bought the whole lot together and it's said to be new old stock. So clearance between the shell and chassis is minimal in places.





Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA / Suzuki DZR400 / Steib S501
2016 Herald Classic 250

DAVE BRADY

Hi,

Unless the body is sprung independently it should not really matter. I had a Watsonian Palma and the body was very snug in places.

Dave.

iansoady

It is independently sprung (as well as the chassis having a leading axle system) via 2 bike type suspension units which mount to the bosses just in front of the green tape. The front end pivots on silentbloc type bushes which should have alloy cones between the bushes and the body. I have the cones but there's not enough clearance for them both. Interestingly the pile of bits that came with the chair included a couple of smaller steel cones which may fit the bill. Otherwise it's back to the trusty lathe and more piles of swarf!

I'm glad I did this trial fit before getting it painted as there's less chance of scratching the nice shiny paint job.

In fact I'm starting to wonder whether I need to bother with the body springing as I won't be taking passengers. Maybe a couple of simple struts would do.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA / Suzuki DZR400 / Steib S501
2016 Herald Classic 250

limeyrob

Interesting question about suspension.  The sidecar wheel has suspension as well as the chair?  Its possible the suspension on the sidecar wheel will work better if the chair is stiffer?  I wonder.

Oldgoat54

Are the silent block "bushes" for sound insulation rather than suspension?  The fibreglass body could well act as a sounding board for any vibration etc. transmitted from the engine/frame/running gear.  Even with no passenger to complain about it, it could get annoying.

idie

The alloy cones come in different sizes.