Cable change

Started by RobW, 22 Oct, 2018, 20:13

Previous topic - Next topic

RobW

Hi
I need a little help with cable choice. I decided to change the bars from the original straight to the Western style bars on my 66/67 Spitfire. I realised I would probably need to change the cables which I thought would be a simple enough task to get the part numbers. 😮 wrong there so many to choose from. Has any one made this change over ?
Would I pick the US export model Spitfire cables as I believe they all were fitted with Western bars.Or would the lightning cables fit, didnt that come with Western bars as standard.
Front brake, Choke,Clutch,2x throttle cables.

Cheers Rob
Life should be full of memories not wishes 😉
So get on that motorcycle and make some 😉

JulianS

The cables on the market all assume that you are using levers and throttle control and carbs to same pattern as the originals. If you are not then they may not fit. Often cables disappoint.

According to my old Clarks cablas catalogue the cables for western bars would be;

Throttle with dual twist grip and GP2 carb = 68 8692 outer length 36 inches. Clarks ref 306. Doherty cables use same code as the old Clarks

Front brake - 68 8600 outer length 37 inches, Clarks code 2/525/6

Clutch - 68 8611 outer  length 55 iches, Clarks code 2/729. Same as standard bars.

I would have though all the usual dealers would be worth a phone call.

Alternative is to source materials and make your own, that way they will aways be the right length for your bike

RobW

Many thanks Julian. The bars arrived today offering them up to the bike. I will fit and see as looking at them I do seem to have a lot of cable slack might not need to get all of them. 👍
Life should be full of memories not wishes 😉
So get on that motorcycle and make some 😉