A10 Magneto

Started by Bess, 02 Oct, 2018, 12:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Bess

Hi,
    My Magneto for the A10 needs an expensive overhaul. Before I spend money could you share with me your experiences of either overhauling, replacing and changing to electronic systems.

Many thanks...

Cyclops

Hi Bess, personal choice at the end of the day. It's going to cost whichever you choose. My '61 Super Rocket had Lucas RITA fitted when i bought the bike but the K2F came with it. One day it wouldn't start and when investigated, found the Dyna twin pole coil had cracked around its circumference so decided to fit the mag. and give the charging circuit an easier life. Spinning the armature would not produce a spark so off it went for surgery. When it came back it looked like new and the spark was amazing, cost was £170, but will vary depending on what's done and by whom. Fitted the mag and fastidiously set the timing and she fired first kick. Have seen electronic ignition systems on eBay for around £300-350 so costwise a recon mag comes out top. Like i satd...your choice.

STAR TWIN

Having had battery problems twice in a week with 2 different bikes, I love my magnetos! Lose the electrics and still the engine keeps on turning. A lot to be said for that when you many miles from home.

Jackson

I'd have been stranded more times than I cared to think about if it hadn't been for magneto ignition.
That begs a whole new question about 6 volt electrics, charging and whether to change to 12V, though.
My 6V batteries never used to hold a charge - no lights at tickover.
I'm just getting my first A10 in years back on the road and I'm trying it with the standard 6V system initially. Sorry - that's off topic. 🙂

Bess

Hi all,

Thanks for you experiences, please keep them coming...........Bess

Marka10

I tried to set up my timing on the A10 for months on a magneto and points. Couldn't get it to start easy or tick over smooth. So bought a Thorspark electronic points and coil, easy to fit in place of points, runs on 6 volts, uses very little power. It has transformed the bike made it more reliable and useable.    Bought from Sussex Motorcycles £150.

Marka10

Coil fits under seat next to battery-