A10 4TH GEAR SLEEVE

Started by phil whitelaw, 12 Aug, 2018, 10:09

Previous topic - Next topic

phil whitelaw

Hello everyone. I need a bit of advice regarding my 1961 A10 gearbox. I was fitting the chain sprocket onto the output sleeve and noticed that as I tightened the nut the sleeve was drawing out until it became flush with the outside face of the sprocket. Obviously this meant there was no recess for the tangs on the lock washer to locate in but more worrying was what was going on inside the box regarding the amount of engagement of the drive dogs. There is 1.5mm/0.060' float on the sleeve, no movement of the mainshaft. The question is how is the 4th gear sleeve held in position as I cannot see any thrust washer etc on any diagram I have. Does it rest against the inner race of the bearing and if so could the bearing have slipped outwards in the housing?
Its a head scratcher for me. Thanks in advance.

JulianS

The bearing is held in position by its fit in the gearcase and by the oil seal and circlip. They dont usually move.

The sleeve gear is usually at least a light interference fit in the inner race of the bearing. Sometimes it can be quite tight. It butts right up against the inner race and is held in position by the sprocket, which also butts right up against the inner race and is held by the nut.

There should be no float on the sleeve gear, which could interfere with gear selection on one side and the rear chain line on the other.

The nut needs to be done up quite tight or it will loosen and the sprocket will wobble a bit.

Oil often leaks along the sprocket splines if the fit is poor.