First ride no brakes.

Started by A10 JWO, 11 Nov, 2018, 15:20

Previous topic - Next topic

A10 JWO

Complete restoration of A65 OIF, all brake shoes changed for decent new ones. I think they are all adjusted as per the manual. The hubs were aqua-blasted so are free of grease. Maiden voyage, just glad no one pulled up quick in front of me. How long do they take to bed in please, thought about holding the brakes on along a dual carriageway. ?

STAR TWIN

Are they replacement brake shoes or relined? All replacement Wassell brakes shoes in my experience have too hard linings which
are never really effective, short of having the complete brake plate and shoes skimmed. Saftek or similar will reline in a proper soft material (AM2 equivalent) which bed in nicely and work. 

A10 JWO

They are pattern shoes from a well known BSA supplier, don't really want to pull the wheels off again this weather. Will try some aggressive bedding in first. Thanks for reply.

JulianS

BSA published a service sheet in the USA on burnishing OIF brakes.

Worth trying.

To harsh application could glaze the linings which will not help the bedding in.

Servodyne

I love these "comical" front brakes but you have to use the original Ferodo Am114 brake linings, which I believe were originally designed for London Taxis. I've tried several alternatives over the years, from Emgo and even Saftek, but none come anywhere near the original linings. Unfortunately they're full of asbestos so are hard to find or difficult to to find someone willing to use the material to reline old brake shoes. Pat Arnold who trades at many autojumbles and you may know through the club, has boxes of these linings and I have found a local brake re-liner who will glue the linings on but not trim them. I finish them off myself wearing a suitable mask and plenty of water to minimise dust.
Another thing to consider is the length of the brake levers which come in two factory sizes, 1 1/2" and 1 7/8" between centres. The longer brake arms were fitted curiously to the last OIF singles, but are a must have for the twins and triples. They are a double acting brake so give the effective braking force to a single acting brake with twice the length of brake lever.. 
Compared with contemporary disc brakes from either Norton or Triumph, I find the conical is far superior in both bite and feel.

A10 JWO

Thanks Julian, like that and thanks for other replies.