Does anyone else's exhaust fall off all the time?

Started by CROFTY1984, 14 Aug, 2018, 14:09

Previous topic - Next topic

CROFTY1984

Not sure if a vent or an actual request for advice (cry for help?). My A65 lightning hates its exhausts and keeps spitting them out. I've had broken brackets, different sealants and all sorts. Is there anything people have tried? It's an aftermarket exhaust and different mountings which doesn't help either, but the originals were cut/smashed off. Grumble grumble grumble...

Marktomblin

Yes I had a similar problem with a super rocket with a Siamese system the solution for me was to set the exhaust tight in then make a bracket to fit on an appropriate bolt of the engine mounts or elsewhere once you decide where the bracket will fit . Mark the pipe where the bracket sits then get a friendly welder to weld it on . It will never fall off again. Good luck.
markT.

ChrisG

Crofty, does it have the balance pipe or is it an earlier model? If the balance pipes then they are supposed to hold in the pipes as they should stop them spreading outwards. If they are the earlier type as on the Royal Star up to the finish, they fitted a chrome strip which bolted on to a threaded boss on the underside of the pipe close to the cylinder head. Again, this was to stop them spreading.
They definitely need something like that to hold them in. 

CROFTY1984

That's a very interesting point. No balance pipe (or similar bracket arrangement) the bike's FAR from original, so it could well have been removed and non-original downpipes added. Maybe rigging up something to pinch them together would do the trick, assuming the threaded boss isn't there.  Either that or make a pair of brackets from somewhere on the head to put springs onto.

CROFTY1984

I've taken Editor's advice on board and made a rod to keep the exhausts together. I think it looks quite fancy! Couple of clamps, some threaded bar, nuts and a pair of rose joints. I hope I've added an image properly.
Also got a new exhaust, the new one I got snapped the mounting off, but to be fair, the supplier sent a free replacement out straight away. Not sure on the rules on naming businesses on here so I'll play it safe.

So how does she run now? No ides, the ******** ******* ******* ****** carb's let fuel into the oil again! So that's 30 quid of brand new oil down the drain taken to the recycling centre. I guess I could drain the sump and hope the tank's not too contaminated, but I think that's a bit too risky. Ordering new AMAL premiers next week.

A10 JWO

That looks impressive and well thought out. Even a few purist would be impressed, not that I like purists that much. LOL.

CROFTY1984

Thanks mate, I've sold my Bonneville so hoping to put some money towards getting this right. New carbs and frame straightening next!
Poor girl's had a hard life.

A10 JWO

Just spotted a BSA Spitfire ( listed today on ebay ) it has a similar set up on the exhaust and is a stunning bike.