Gripping chrome plated items.

Started by Andy Kay, 06 Sep, 2026, 12:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kay

I recently needed to unscrew the left hand fork seal holder on my B44 Victor Special.
It was slowly leaking fork oil past the threads where it attaches to the slider.
I didn't want to remove the entire leg to do this, so I slid the gaiter up out of the way and attempted to unscrew the fork seal holder with a leather strap wrench.
I couldn't get any purchase and the strap just slipped on the smooth shiney chrome.
I then remembered another problem I had, trying to get the switch gear and decompressor lever to stay where I clamped them on the handlebars.
I successfully solved this by putting a wrap of rubbery amalgamating tape around the bars under the clamps.
I decided to try the same trick on the seal holder and hey presto the leather strap wrench gripped tightly and the seal holder unscrewed.
So, if you're trying to get a grip on a chromed item try a bit of amalgamating tape.

Derek996

That's a very useful tip Andy. 👍
1948 BSA ZB32 Competition
2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic