BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Robinson on 29 Jan, 2019, 18:33

Title: A10 gearbox removal (1960 swinging arm model)
Post by: Robinson on 29 Jan, 2019, 18:33
Hi all, I'm just psyching myself up to remove the gearbox from my 1960 swinging arm model A10, to cure the loud whining from the gearbox when in 2nd and 3rd gears. Can anyone advise on the best /simplest procedure for removing the gearbox in one piece? Is it best to take it out from the primary drive side or from the timing side? Any pitfalls I should be aware of in the process of removal? Cheers Cliff
Title: Re: A10 gearbox removal (1960 swinging arm model)
Post by: DerekAnderson8 on 29 Jan, 2019, 20:01
you can take the internals out without removing the gearbox from the frame, I think!

it might give you an idea of what the issue is without going the whole hog!

;)
Title: Re: A10 gearbox removal (1960 swinging arm model)
Post by: ducati2242 on 29 Jan, 2019, 21:11
I have just completely rebuilt my b34 gearbox without removing it . All new bearings and bushes are replaceable without removal . There was nothing but the shell left in my bike . I am sure it is a very similar gearbox . To be honest though it wouldn't have taken much more to remove it as the clutch and primary all has to be removed .
Title: Re: A10 gearbox removal (1960 swinging arm model)
Post by: Robinson on 30 Jan, 2019, 10:45
Hi thanks for posts to date. I'm aware that the gearbox can be stripped in situe, however I want to fit a complete exchange gearbox so I wanted some tips on the best way to remove it in one piece.
Cheers, Cliff
Title: Re: A10 gearbox removal (1960 swinging arm model)
Post by: JulianS on 30 Jan, 2019, 12:05
Take it out from the timing side. You need to remove the top timing side engine plate, but support the crankcase, then you will see if you need to remove any more engine plates or if you just need to loosen the fasteners. I would remove the oil pipes to give a bit more space.

I think most of these gearboxes have a whine. I built mine with NOS pinions, new shafts and bearings and there was still a whine in third gear.