:)
In about 1966??? when certain changes were made to the crankshaft sludge trap, were any other major changes made. I have a crank that I am having trouble with. The cases are post 1966 and I assume that a thrust washer would have been fitted--- "thin" main bearing. However I dont know the year of the crank. Was there ever a minor change of width??? My crank has the marking 5 A65 stamped on the perifery.
Thoughts please
Mike 8) 8) 8)
Hi mike, how much are we talking about here?
i dont think the crank changed much over the years.
What bearings are you using?
;)
derek
:)
Cases don't meet by about 1mm -----1.5 mm. I've tried different drive side case same thing.
Mike 8) 8) 8)
Have you fitted new main bearing and or bush?
i had a problem with bronze bushing that was too wide and had to take a bit off it.
:-X
:)
I've actually fitted both. Of course the original bearing is not available but the later(pattern?) one is. I shall also fettle the bush a little to see in that helps. The new bearing fits to all intents but if necessary I am going to put the old one back in to see whether it makes a difference. We'll see????????????
Mike 8) 8) 8)
hi mike read this forum post from britbike
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=456522
scroll down and it mentions different crank dimensions because of timing hole in front, it says this the crank changed in about 1965 making it 0.09"?2.26mm wider
maybe worth investigating
:D
:)
That just what I feared. I'm building engine from parts so I shall need to dig around on this one
Mike 8) 8) 8)
Hi,
Worth read, seems there was a change and they are interchangeable.
Best wishes..