BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Jackson on 09 Jan, 2019, 15:35

Title: Timing side tab washer - plunger A10
Post by: Jackson on 09 Jan, 2019, 15:35
Probably a daft question but I'm mystified.
I have a tab washer which fits between the oil pump helical drive on the crankshaft and a locking nut on the end of the shaft.
My problem is that the washer is circular with a tab on the inside which engages with a slot on the end of the crankshaft, but the outer of the washer is round and I fail to see how it can lock the nut unless I just bash it around a bit, which doesn't seem to be a good solution.
Any thoughts?
Adrian
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&hl=en-gb&q=a10+crankshaft+tab+washer+how+to+use&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjonpu2geHfAhX6SRUIHTrfBhUQBSgAegQICRAC&biw=1024&bih=729#imgrc=_1m0q5mTHqbNxM:
Title: Re: Timing side tab washer - plunger A10
Post by: JOHN KAY on 09 Jan, 2019, 16:49
HI ADRIAN
NOT SURE WHAT TYPE WASHER YOU HAVE BUT GENERALLY YOU FIT IT UNDER THE NUT
TIGHTEN TO CORRECT TORQUE THEN  FOLD OVER THE WASHER AGAINST ONE OF  THE
FLATS OF THE NUT POSSIBLY LEVERING WITH A SCREWDRIVER FINISHING OFF WITH
CAREFUL USE OF MOLEGRIPS SOME MEMBERS MAY HAVE OTHER HELPFUL IDEAS  .
REGARDS JOHNBOY
Title: Re: Timing side tab washer - plunger A10
Post by: JulianS on 09 Jan, 2019, 17:47
I stopped using that lock washer some years back and use loctite instead.
Title: Re: Timing side tab washer - plunger A10
Post by: Bess on 09 Jan, 2019, 17:51
Hi,
    From BSA service sheets:
Title: Re: Timing side tab washer - plunger A10
Post by: Jackson on 09 Jan, 2019, 18:23
Thanks very much everybody.
I thought of turning the side of the washer up, but this one is quite narrow and wouldn't give much purchase.
I'll use belt and braces by turning the washer up and applying loctite.
Regards,
Adrian
Title: Re: Timing side tab washer - plunger A10
Post by: Mike Farmer on 11 Jan, 2019, 10:58
 :)

" When  I stripped my A50-someone (obviously seriously qualified) had welded the nut on. Good game???Ok now though.

Mike 8) 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: Timing side tab washer - plunger A10
Post by: Jackson on 11 Jan, 2019, 20:22
Well, at least it made sure it wouldn't come off!
What did you do?
Title: Re: Timing side tab washer - plunger A10
Post by: Mike Farmer on 12 Jan, 2019, 10:39
 :)

Cut and carefully filed the nut away, leaving plenty of meat on the shank, then re-threaded it. Its OK so far.

Mike 8) 8) 8)