BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: davidmac on 13 Dec, 2018, 12:08

Title: BSA Gold Flash
Post by: davidmac on 13 Dec, 2018, 12:08
I am looking at buying a 1960 BSA Gold Flash 650. I s there anything I should look out for. The seller is Richard Gaunt of D.R. Classics.

David.
Title: Re: BSA Gold Flash
Post by: STAR TWIN on 13 Dec, 2018, 17:22
Take someone who already has one and knows their way around them. Ideally he should be of a cynical nature and good at sharp intakes of breath.
Title: Re: BSA Gold Flash
Post by: A10 JWO on 13 Dec, 2018, 17:41
Good starter, should start 1st or 2nd time. Oil leaks, Is it charging ? Fork movement ? Inside of tank ? Check the numbers.  Frame damage ? Rims. Seat base ? to name a few. Good luck.
Title: Re: BSA Gold Flash
Post by: JOHN KAY on 14 Dec, 2018, 10:52
HI THERE
IF YOU HAVE TIME A GOOD IDEA WOULD BE TO BUY THE ESSENTIAL BUYERS GUIDE BSA 500 AND 650 TWINS
BY PETER HENSHAW QUITE USEFUL AND WIDELY AVAILABLE USUALLY CHEAPEST FROM BOOKS PLEASE
REGARDS JOHNBOY .
Title: Re: BSA Gold Flash
Post by: JulianS on 14 Dec, 2018, 12:45
basics first - check that the numbers stamped on the frame and engine exactly match those which appear on the V5C.

Check that the numbers are in the 1960 series;

https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/yearlisting.html

Basically frame number prefix GA7, engine number prefix DA10. DA10 engines used from 1958. CA10 is the earlier engine with thin flange cyliner and small journal crankshaft (if original still fitted)

Often a seller will have information such as a BSAOC dating certificate.

If it is the black A10 on DR website engine shows as a CA10 used 1954-1957.
Title: Re: BSA Gold Flash
Post by: Mike Farmer on 15 Dec, 2018, 10:17
 :)

I would suggest you also ask for a good warranty. Or see if it is possible to purchase one.

Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: BSA Gold Flash
Post by: davidmac on 15 Dec, 2018, 10:50
Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. I have decided to go ahead & exchange my Matchless GS80 & will be delivered next week.  It has a C10 engine. Dr Classic  seem to be OK as I have purchased from him before. Now I may be able to get along to the Norfolk lot next year.