I got a problem which is giving me more grey hair (which I didn't think was possible).
I'm tearing down a 1970 BSA A50 I'm to the point that I have the transmission removed, but can't seem to get the drive sprocket to come off. Nearest I can tell it's hanging on to the outside bushing with the top gear inside hanging on to something.
Before I get brutal, does anyone know about the threaded part that is in front of the sprocket itself? (It's the threads that have a tabbed big nut on them. I've gotten the nut off, but there I've been stopped.
Does the sprocket come off over the threads?
Are the threads attached to the sprocket?
Any ideas on how to get a hold on the sprocket to pull it off?
Thanks.
The thread you see is the final drive shaft (aka Sleeve gear) from the gearbox and the sprocket slides over the splines on that part. As you have removed the nut, if it wont slide off the shaft then its stuck so try heating it up with a heat gun or blowlamp.
If you are taking the gearbox out then that makes the job easier as the cluster pulls straight out leaving the sleeve gear behind, so you could then tap it through the sprocket.
Have you got a parts list? It shows it quite clearly on that. Parts lists are free to download by members from the members area of the website. Also, all the dealers sell them.
Good luck!