I'm rebuilding an A50 that has been setting in a barn for the last 30 years. The outside looks bad, but the inside of the engine seems surprisingly pristine.
I'm going around measuring bearings, etc. and have a question. One of the top (small end) connecting rod bearing turns a bit in the rod itself.
It measures well within spec, but I don't want it to turn and misalign the oil holes.
I've been researching on the net and it seems that one of the Loctite products might be the solution to my problem.
Anybody have opinions about the advisability of going this route.
Thanks.
I have tried it but it didn't last. No harm in trying it and keeping a ear open for small end noise.
If it was me I'd get ther contod out and get the eye over bored and a custom bush made. A pain having to have to do the complete engine strip >:(
If its any consolation I am just about to embark on the job for my Soper Rocket :'(
There are some extremely strong specialist loctite producta available and it is worth consulting the manufacturers website;
http://www.loctite.co.uk/homepage.htm
My own experience is with the crankshaft pinion of my A10, due to a worn key and soft washer between the worm drive and pinion the pinion had fretted on the shaft, you could see it rocking back and forth, and it could not be secured by tightening the worm. I tried Loctite 638, a high strength product for cylindrical parts.
It worked. I applied it over 3 years ago and had completed around 10000 miles since. I had cause to dismantle the engine this summer. The pinion was still held fast and needed a lot of heat plus the puller to remove it. Engine reassembled again using 638 on the pinion and shaft.
:) :)
Strange that this subject should come up right now.
A65 rebuild--Crank redone etc---new drive side bearing(of course drive side jornal untouched). There is movement in the bearing i.e. the jornal turns nside the centre spool.
When I spoke to engineer his advice is to use a "Loctite" product. My investigation show one that will take up .003". Fortunately I measure min at less than .0005 but that's enough for it to turn.
Will let you know.
Mike 8) 8) 8)