BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: the monk on 28 Oct, 2018, 13:49

Title: Hot starting a10
Post by: the monk on 28 Oct, 2018, 13:49
Hi can anyone help me with the following problem , I have just rebuilt a 1959 A10 and sidecar , I have a hot starting problem , starting when she cold it's usually first kick , but after a while when she gets hot  , when trying to get her started again is not easy , and only seems ready to start when she has cooled down after about 45 minutes , ? after checking for a spark , changing the plugs , cleaning the plugs turning the motor over on the Kickstart , and constantly kicking her over to see if she will go ,by which time I'm sweating bullets and down to my best , when out of the blue she fires up as if there was a problem at all , any suggestions would be gratefully received , all the best the monk .
Title: Re: Hot starting a10
Post by: STAR TWIN on 28 Oct, 2018, 16:19
Classic symptoms of a condenser failing. Is the spark weak when the bike is hot? If so, time for a magneto overhaul.
Title: Re: Hot starting a10
Post by: royblackburn1@btinternet. on 28 Oct, 2018, 18:03
Hi The Monk I can remember reading a post some time ago about old bikes and modern fuels even with a hot engine tickle the carb to give a rich mixture might help I had a problem with my A65 that after a run it would not start when hot but fired up next day then would not when hot after weeks of asking around Classic Bike suggested a faulty ammeter was the problem I changed it and problem sorted hope this might help. Roy