BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Mitch77 on 25 Oct, 2018, 20:57

Title: Rear brake cable removal A10 SR
Post by: Mitch77 on 25 Oct, 2018, 20:57
Hi All
I am ready to remove my rear wheel and need to disconnect the rear brake cable on inspection it d
Has a compressed spring which appears to be under quite some tension
Is there a sequence to safely remove the cable without the spring flying off and causing any problems
Any input appreciated 👍
Mitch
Title: Re: Rear brake cable removal A10 SR
Post by: Cyclops on 26 Oct, 2018, 11:04
Hi Mitch, not sure which spring you're refering to, as far as i'm aware the only spring is a return spring fitted to the rear brake pedal which should stay in place when cable is removed from the brake actuating arm and the cable stop on the brake plate. The only other tension on the arm is from the internal brake shoe springs. I tied the brake lever up using a piece of wire wrapped around the footrest to keep the return spring in place. I assume you haven't removed the rear wheel before so the following may be usefull. I recently removed the rear wheel from my '61 S/Rocket to fit a new tyre, check the brake shoes and grease the wheel bearings. As i found out thr'u trial and error you only need to remove the r/h spindle nut and the 4 bolts around the chain/sprocket assembly. No need to touch the l/h nut. Make a note of the spacer positions, remove the "cotton reel" spacer between the brake plate and s/arm and pull the wheel away from the drive sprocket assembly. I have a hyd. lift/work bench with a removeable section so easy to drop the wheel out. If you don't have similar, make sure you have sufficient room to drop the wheel out. I refitted my wheel on my own but would definitely be easier with 2 sets of hands. Hope this helps.
Title: Re: Rear brake cable removal A10 SR
Post by: Mitch77 on 26 Oct, 2018, 19:09
Thank you Cyclops that info is truly very helpful 👍
Mitch