BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Jackson on 25 Oct, 2018, 15:43

Title: A10 Oil pump
Post by: Jackson on 25 Oct, 2018, 15:43
Looking for advice. Putting my A10 engine back together. I tried to turn the drive gear in the oil pump with my fingers, but couldn't shift it. I've taken the pump apart, cleaned the pump gears, the drive gear and all the pump body. My questions are should I be able to turn the drive gear by hand and how smooth should the pump gears be in operation? With the drive gear off the pump turns fairly easily with pliers on its tang, but feels a bit lumpy.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Adrian.
Title: Re: A10 Oil pump
Post by: JulianS on 25 Oct, 2018, 17:03
You should be able to turn by hand. The mazac bodied pumps distort causing the difficulty, usually due to overtightening the body gets slightly squashed, or it is fitted without the little washer between front stud and pump body. When fitted to the cases it may turn more easily.

If really bad replacement is the only cure in my opinion.

I would not risk my A10 engine with an old distorted mazc pump.
Title: Re: A10 Oil pump
Post by: Jackson on 25 Oct, 2018, 17:22
Thanks very much Julian,
That's what I was afraid of, but half expecting to hear. When I took it off the washer was missing. Everything seems free in the pump till I put it back together, then it doesn't turn at all easily.
Adrian