BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Mike Farmer on 16 Oct, 2018, 19:32

Title: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: Mike Farmer on 16 Oct, 2018, 19:32
 :)

Hi All.

I'm trying to obtain item part No 68-207 Distance piece. Can anyone point me in the right direction or have one that I can borrow to have a couple made up. Or indeed the dimensions would be as good.

This is what happens with boxes of bits, the most obscure bits are usually missing.

Regards Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: Bess on 18 Oct, 2018, 18:29
Hi Mike,
             I had trouble finding a spacer, I got a decent used 1 from the US on Ebay eventually. I tried to have some manufactured, their outer diameter is ground and the whole piece is hardened because the edge is in contact with the oil seal, so the cost was prohibitive.

I thought I had the old one but cant find it at the moment.

Best wishes...
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: DerekAnderson8 on 18 Oct, 2018, 19:01
I am trying to see what it looks like mike, if i can find one i will let you know.

cheers

derek
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: DerekAnderson8 on 18 Oct, 2018, 19:28
is this it Mike?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-68-0207-Sprocket-Spacer-1-x-1-5-8-x-396-NOS-NP8535/371770694927?hash=item568f429d0f:g:fxYAAOSwm0JYDNZJ:rk:1:pf:0

cheers

;)

Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: Mike Farmer on 18 Oct, 2018, 19:50
 :)

Yes that's the one. Thank you. Perfect I need two so I'll just buy these.

Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: Mike Farmer on 18 Oct, 2018, 22:12
 :)

Hi agen. I;ve just been mulling over the points about making one. As I see it, as a spacer it would not move---under normal circumstances it would be tight between the centre spool of the bearing and the drive sprocket  and I believe its the same circumference as the OD of the centre spool. It would of course turn in unison so there should be no friction(or absolutely minimal amount)

I recon that having one machined out of EN16 or EN24 should be satisfactory it would also be possible to have it case hardened if necessary. Boil it in battery acid for half an hour or so. Ho Ho Ho Shall still purchase from USofA

Thoughts please


Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: DerekAnderson8 on 19 Oct, 2018, 09:08
i will have a look i may have one in my vast spares selection  ;) (not)

i am off today and going to be in garage working on A65

cheers

derek
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: Bess on 19 Oct, 2018, 09:28
Hi Mike,
             The spacer rotates with the knife edge of the crankshaft oil seal touching it. The outer diameter needs to be accurate and the best finish you can get to ensure a good and lasting seal.

Best wishes...
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: Mike Farmer on 19 Oct, 2018, 11:40
 :)hi Bess

thanks for that. I have just ordered from USofA. I'm just going to measure up and see what difficulties would be thrown up with making one. Not that I shall go down that route now.

Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: Bess on 21 Oct, 2018, 10:37
Hi Mike,
             This might have come too late, this company manufactures spacers for the A10 they might make some for your A65's:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-A7-A10-RGS-CRANKSHAFT-BEARING-SPACER-67-1138-UK-MADE-SJ301-/112821704667

The 1962-63 model has the 68-0207 spacer, there are a number of options for the 1965 model to help with the clutch alignment:

68-0203  1" x 1 5/8" x 0.360"
68-0204  1" x 1 5/8" x 0.375"
68-0207  1" x 1 5/8" x 0.396"

Best wishes...
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: Mike Farmer on 21 Oct, 2018, 19:15
 :)
Thanks again for your interest. Like you say a bit late for this time but all knowledge is good and valued. I shall now make a note in my manual so that IF I ever do another etc.

Or whoever next owns the manual. The guy in USofA only had two(he says) and he's had them forever.

So now I can do both engines.

Incidently--something in the back of my mind is saying "fit spacer and then shim for clutch alignment" ??? but its way back knowledge.

Regards  Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: Bess on 21 Oct, 2018, 20:21
Hi Mike,
            You are correct in thinking fit spacer then shim.

The 65' model offers smaller spacers if the alignment needs the sprocket nearer the engine.

Best wishes...
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: Mike Farmer on 23 Oct, 2018, 11:38
 :)

Distance pieces have now arrived, so one more step is completed.

Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: DerekAnderson8 on 24 Oct, 2018, 11:19
Quote from: Mike Farmer on 23 Oct, 2018, 11:38
:)

Distance pieces have now arrived, so one more step is completed.

Mike 8) 8) 8)

That was good service then!

;)
Title: Re: A65 Sprocket distance peice
Post by: Mike Farmer on 24 Oct, 2018, 14:23
 :)

Hi Derek. Yes thanks to your eagle eyes.

Mike 8) 8)