BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: MCNA0055 on 02 Oct, 2018, 09:20

Title: Bsa A65 spitfire
Post by: MCNA0055 on 02 Oct, 2018, 09:20
I have a bsa spitfire that keeps wet sumping,  this happens overnight, the owner said he has changed the oil pump for an upgraded one but this has not cured the problem. Any info on diagnosing or how to fix the problem is greatly appreciated
Title: Re: Bsa A65 spitfire
Post by: JulianS on 02 Oct, 2018, 09:34
Suggest check that the ball  behind the oil pump is seating correctly and that the pump is sealing properly on the crankcase.

See service sheet below.
Title: Re: Bsa A65 spitfire
Post by: Martin on 02 Oct, 2018, 17:23
Have you changed the oil lately?

I recently had much the same problem with my A65 Lightning. I realised belatedly that I hadn't changed the engine oil for some time, so you might try draining the tank and sump altogether, flushing the filters and checking the sump ball moves freely, then refill with fresh engine oil. I hate to think what sediment must have been arresting the flow back to the tank, but it cured the problem completely. Best of luck!
Title: Re: Bsa A65 spitfire
Post by: royblackburn1@btinternet. on 02 Oct, 2018, 19:49
Hi MCN AOO5S I once told an engineer that I put a anti wet sump valve in to stop wet sumping and it worked I also told him I changed  the ball bearing and spring behind the pump but it did not work hence the anti wet sump valve he replied did I gently tap the new ball bearing into the recess to get the bearings profile I said no he said that's why it didn't work. hope this might help Roy
Title: Re: Bsa A65 spitfire
Post by: MCNA0055 on 08 Oct, 2018, 09:25
Thank for you advise, it does have an aluminum oil pump so I've tapped the ball bearing to seat it properly. The problem I have now is that it will not start, I've checked the plugs and I have a good spark but I'm not sure if they are firing at the right time. Do I need to line anything up
Title: Re: Bsa A65 spitfire
Post by: MCNA0055 on 08 Oct, 2018, 13:57
Thanks for all your help I've now set the timing correctly and she started second mix