BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Jackson on 25 Sep, 2018, 15:44

Title: A10 Mystery brake plate lug
Post by: Jackson on 25 Sep, 2018, 15:44
Dear All,
My A10 (plunger '53) has a lug on the brake plate (upper lug in the photo).
It is just above the lug on the fork which I believe is for the brake cable/adjuster.
This lug looks like it is for a similar purpose but surely there aren't two.
In the parts list diagram there is just a nut in this position. Can someone have just shoved this on because they were short of a nut or is it the wrong brake plate, though everything else fits?
Does anyone have ideas what this is about please?
Thanks in advance
Adrian
Title: Re: A10 Mystery brake plate lug
Post by: JulianS on 25 Sep, 2018, 17:23
The fork bottom is wrong for an A10. It is for a 7 inch brake. Your brake cable anchors on the adjuster on the brake plate.

Photo shows the run of the cable, though the torque stay is homemade.
Title: Re: A10 Mystery brake plate lug
Post by: Jackson on 25 Sep, 2018, 17:27

Thanks very much. That's really useful.
Do you think that there will be a problem if I keep the fork bottoms? I've just changed the bushes and seals and every thing seemed to go well.
Adrian
Title: Re: A10 Mystery brake plate lug
Post by: JulianS on 25 Sep, 2018, 18:13
I would make very sure that the person who fitted that fork bottom has not fitted other mongrel parts which could compromise safe use..

The cross section should be like the photo.
Title: Re: A10 Mystery brake plate lug
Post by: Jackson on 26 Sep, 2018, 10:20
Julian,
Thanks for the picture.
There have been plenty of mongrel parts. The cross section is now like the diagram, but when I got it, one bearing was almost seized - the wheel would turn if you pushed the bike but I couldn't turn the bearing with my fingers when I got it out. Worse - the usual stepped spindle had been replaced with a straight bar of the narrower diameter of the original and any number of washers and bushes had been put in to make it fit on the left hand side. Now it has a new set of bearings and a Barleycorn spindle.

Other faults too numerous to mention - engine bolts missing etc.

I have been over everything (I think) and it is now going back together - just put the bottom end back in yesterday.

My main worry is if the fork bottoms are the wrong length - I am fitting a sidecar and the geometry could affect it. They seem straight and sound though.

Regards,
Adrian.
Title: Re: A10 Mystery brake plate lug
Post by: JulianS on 26 Sep, 2018, 20:01
The bottoms are the same length. Some machines had shorter shafts and shorter top bushes than the A10.
Title: Re: A10 Mystery brake plate lug
Post by: Jackson on 27 Sep, 2018, 00:04
That's great. I'll live with them then, until I find the correct right hand side.
Thanks again.
Adrian