BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Mike Farmer on 24 Sep, 2018, 17:56

Title: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: Mike Farmer on 24 Sep, 2018, 17:56
 :)

Greetings. Just starting to reassemble A65 bottom end. Crank has just been reground and I've got about .040" end float and that seems a bit excessive. So back to the book which mentions a "shim cup"
Would someone kindly tell me exactly what it is and a picture if possible. I can understand it in general terms but not fully.

Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: JulianS on 24 Sep, 2018, 19:49
They look like this although you should be able to get one in the UK.

https://www.classicbritishspares.com/products/bsa-crankshaft-roller-bearing-shim-cup-68-0638-71-3288-clip-retainer-rhp-a50-a65

The shims sit in the cup and the lip, in theory, stops bits of shim coming out shouldit break up. To complicate it there were 2 types, depending on the bearing used, see service bulletin below.
Title: Re: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: Mike Farmer on 25 Sep, 2018, 08:57
 :) :)

Hi Julian.

Thanks a zillion

Mike
Title: Re: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: Mike Farmer on 25 Sep, 2018, 10:10
 :)

Hi Next question: - I have two different manuals-- one shows a thrust washer on the drive side journal and the other doesn't. Which is correct or is it for different years. Confused or what .com

Mike 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: Bess on 25 Sep, 2018, 11:11
Hi Mike,
             What year is your bike? I believe they fitted the thrust from 1966 (Engines from A65 -101, A50 -101).

Best wishes...
Title: Re: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: Mike Farmer on 25 Sep, 2018, 11:22
 :) :)

Thanks for that. I actually meant the timing side but I guess you knew what I meant. Mine are 63  and 65. so I guess they didn't have them????

Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: Bess on 25 Sep, 2018, 11:34
Hi Mike,
             No, your machines have a ball race on the drive side not a roller hence no end float.

Best wishes...
Title: Re: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: Mike Farmer on 27 Sep, 2018, 09:27
 :)

Current situation is. I have ordered a shim cup from USA(Thanks Julian) £20 inclusive, very limited supply. These are the later type which are slightly greater diameter to go over the larger centre boss of the later bearings---the bearings are interchangeable.  The difference in the centre boss OD is 4mm, but that is not measured with a micrometer.

Apparently although they are slightly too large these cups can be used with the older bearings because they will still hold the shims in place. I would have to think very carefully about it but would probably do it at a push, if it was that or nothing.

So now I just have to await the arrival.

Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: Bess on 27 Sep, 2018, 10:34
Hi Mike,
              Are you sure the bearings are interchangeable?

I thought the ball bearing cannot slide horizontally whereas the roller can, hence the need for the timing side thrust washer. Maybe a ball bearing can be fitted to the later models?

Best wishes..
Title: Re: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: Mike Farmer on 27 Sep, 2018, 12:44
 :) :)

Hi Bess

Yes, because I've got the later bearing now fitted to my 1963 engine. All the plans that I have viewed show shims. However as you say post 1966 they had the thrust bearing. To confirm, maybe you take a look at Julian's answer of a couple days ago.  He posted the relevant service sheet.

I will keep you in the picture on this.

Mike 8) 8)
Title: Re: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: Bess on 27 Sep, 2018, 13:35
Hi Mike,
            We might be at crossed purposes here. As the service sheet is 1972 I assumed the change was for that year not for the change from ball to roller bearings in 1966.

I thought when they changed from the ball bearing to roller bearings they added a trust washer to the timing side. I didn't realize you can change the pre 1966 to rollers without a thrust washer.

Best wishes...
Title: Re: A65 Crankshaft Shim Cup
Post by: Mike Farmer on 27 Sep, 2018, 19:12
 :)

Hi Bess

All that I have done is changed the original worn ball bearing for the later one. There is a very definite grey area in my knowledge. I actually have no idea if its possible to interchange roller and ball. What you say about the dating is true but as I said the new bearing only has a different OD on the centre spool. The ID of the spool and the OD of the full circumference remains the same.
I'm going to dig around for answers although a lot of my current knowledge comes from recent speaky speak with SRM. I'm sure that there are a few unexplained ideas out in Beesa land that we have all held dear to over the years. AND the machines kept running>>>>>
Take care
Mike 8) 8) 8)