BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Mike Farmer on 13 Sep, 2018, 10:37

Title: A50/65 gearbox
Post by: Mike Farmer on 13 Sep, 2018, 10:37
 :)

Just a quick "Q"

Is it possible to remove and replace an A50 gearbox in situ, or would it be adviseable to take the motor out of the frame. Just another job that I've never done and I can imagine all sorts of lining up probs with it in situ.

Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A50/65 gearbox
Post by: Bess on 13 Sep, 2018, 14:46
Hi,
    It can be done.

Best wishes...
Title: Re: A50/65 gearbox
Post by: Mike Farmer on 13 Sep, 2018, 15:18
 :)

Hi Bess.

I spose at the end of the day if all else fails I might just need to remove the motor to re-assemble it.

Cheers

Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A50/65 gearbox
Post by: Bess on 13 Sep, 2018, 15:27
Hi Mike,
            Very true, it will be lighter as well so no need to bother the partner  ;)

Best wishes...
Title: Re: A50/65 gearbox
Post by: Mike Farmer on 13 Sep, 2018, 17:10
 :)

How about a thought to assist before I start to do the job. The problem I have is that occasionally the kick start "jams". Stop absolutely solid. The cure---put it in gear and rock it very slightly and it clears straight away. It is not fouling anywhere on the clutch spring side, That is there is no metal to metal contact.

Mike 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: A50/65 gearbox
Post by: Bess on 13 Sep, 2018, 18:47
Hi Mike,
             Worth checking the kickstart bushes, pinion and pinion bush. If they are sloppy the kick start lever has a tendency to lock up.

Best wishes...

Title: Re: A50/65 gearbox
Post by: Mike Farmer on 13 Sep, 2018, 19:22
 :)

Hi Bess

Thanks 8) 8)

Mike
Title: Re: A50/65 gearbox
Post by: bikerbob on 14 Sep, 2018, 08:10
I completely stripped my A65 gearbox and renewed all the bearings and reassembled it without removing the unit from the frame.
Title: Re: A50/65 gearbox
Post by: Mike Farmer on 14 Sep, 2018, 10:36
 :)

That's Brul. Thanks for that

Mike 8) 8)