BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: rudgeman on 21 Aug, 2018, 11:56

Title: 1960 Super Rocket headlamp brackets
Post by: rudgeman on 21 Aug, 2018, 11:56
Hi everyone,
                  I'm in the process of buying a really nice 1960 Super Rocket which appears original to my untrained eye - except for the headlamp brackets - see photo.


I want to get the bike back the original spec - but what headlamp arrangements would it have had ? About half the photos of 1960 Super Rockets have a nacelle type arrangement and half have the conventional brackets (part number 67-5042/44).


If anyone can help me understand what this bike would have left the factory with in the summer of 1960, I'd be very grateful.

Kind regards - Kerry
Title: Re: 1960 Super Rocket headlamp brackets
Post by: JulianS on 21 Aug, 2018, 12:46
It would haver been supplied either with a nacelle or if fitted with rev counter the separate headlamp assembly. So it is take your pick.

All 1960 on Super Rockets would have been supplied with the modified inner timing cover and oil pump to take a rev counter drive. If one was not fitted a simple blanking plate would be fitted. I notice that in your photo the bike does not have that modified timing cover.

Photo shows the inner cover you can see the modification.
Title: Re: 1960 Super Rocket headlamp brackets
Post by: rudgeman on 21 Aug, 2018, 16:18
Thanks Julian - that's very helpful. I think I'll fit the brackets for a separate headlamp and then start to look out for the parts that will enable me to fit a tacho one day.
Kind regards,
                        Kerry
Title: Re: 1960 Super Rocket headlamp brackets
Post by: JulianS on 21 Aug, 2018, 16:37
Do all the checks you can before buying to make sure as far as possible it is a real Super Rocket not just a replica, sellers of bikes which are expected to go for premium prices usually have some provenance - dating certificate from BSAOC for example confirming a factory matched engine and frame.
Title: Re: 1960 Super Rocket headlamp brackets
Post by: rudgeman on 21 Aug, 2018, 17:31
Hi again Julian,
                          I checked the numbers and they seem to be right. If you email me at treasurer@rudge.club I'll share them with you. When I compared against the sequences for 1960 they seem to be about right. The engine number starts DA10R and the frame starts GA7. I understand they wouldn't be the same numbers.

If I was to join the club, would I be able to have someone check the factory records to see whether this particular engine went with this frame ?
Title: Re: 1960 Super Rocket headlamp brackets
Post by: ChrisG on 23 Aug, 2018, 12:46
Hi Rudgeman,
You don't need to join the club just for this, although you would be very welcome of course. Look at machine dating on the website and send off for a dating certificate. This will state whether the engine was the original, or not as the case may be.