BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: boriscross on 19 Aug, 2018, 09:49

Title: A65 1971 mettalic "rustling" noise from the transmission.
Post by: boriscross on 19 Aug, 2018, 09:49
I have just finished re-building a 1971 produced A65 L and am on the verge of getting it on the road. I do however have an issue in that there is a metallic "rustling" (best description) from the transmission until the clutch leaver is pulled in. Using the stethoscope method I've think I have narrowed the source to the outer timing cover. Has anyone any experience of something similar and or know what it might be or where to look?
Title: Re: A65 1971 mettalic "rustling" noise from the transmission.
Post by: A10 JWO on 19 Aug, 2018, 16:07
Did you change the outer gearbox bearing, could make that noise ? Hope it's nothing. Just rebuilt my 1972, changed every bearing that Kidderminster M/C's could sell me.
Title: Re: A65 1971 mettalic "rustling" noise from the transmission.
Post by: Bess on 19 Aug, 2018, 18:10
Hi,
    Did you check the endfloat on the gearbox layshaft?

Best wishes...
Title: Re: A65 1971 mettalic "rustling" noise from the transmission.
Post by: boriscross on 20 Aug, 2018, 15:34
I changed all the bearings and set the end float up as required.