hi i recently posted about this crank i have with a different end on the cush drive side does anyone have a set of primary drive cases or know where i could get them as apparently these cranks are quite unusual?
also thanks to the guys that replied to my last post it was helpful.
hello, unfortunately the chaincases are more rare than the crankshaft. and the crankcases rarer still. s.r.m. had some made about 30 years ago otherwise its ebay.
is this the crank that was on ebay around 3 months ago?
i was outbid on one then.
Hello Eddie I did buy this on eBay I thought it was a standard one as I am relatively new to BSA 's I got it from the USA postage was twice the price of the crank.
The difference I can see compared to one I have is the bush journal is a lot bigger than mine and the bearing is some 40 thou ish smaller which is strange , the width of the crank is the same so I would think it would fit a standard crank case . I am on holiday at the moment but will investigate this further.
It may end up back on eBay or a straight swap for a standard .
Thanks for the reply Mark
Mark - Are you certain that you have an A10 crank? You may have seen the recent article the BSAOC "The Star" on alternator A10, no mention of any of the large journal engined versions being exported to the USA. The 75mm stroke A65 one can be mistaken for the 84mm stroke A10 item. The A65 main bearing journal is larger diameter than A10 and the later A65 ones will have a notch (or drilling) in perifery of flywheel to take the timing peg.
Hi Julian thanks for that it has got that notch in the flywheel so I guess it must be an a65 one that makes a lot of sense I will stick it on eBay and hopefully get something back for it .
All the best mark
hi julian,
i missed article in the star as my membership ran out without knowing. i have the chaincases and 2 a7 alt cranks. small journal. any idea who used these back in the late 50 s ?
The alternator A7 A10 first came out in around 1957, swinging arm only. The alternator added to the dynamo to cope with heavy current needs of police 2 way radios and other current hungry police kit. The primary drive was different - cush drive in clutch, engine sprocket etc.
The A10 eventually got the large journal crank for September 1960 and these later engines had engine number prefix DA10A, starting at 101 and ending at number 489.
Many were exported, more than half of the DA10A engined bikes were exported - Venezuela and Indonesia taking most, some went to Australia and South Africa. They also went to UK police including Jersey and Isle of Man.
Though Ihave seen some alternator A10 models I have yet to see an A7. Anyone got one?
thanks for photo julian. i have the screen mount brackets. hopefully an a7 variant will turn up one day
Finding the inner primary on ebay is not too hard and reasonably cheap. The outer is another problem..I had to get one from Australia. Someone in UK used to make them new..a Goldie specialist. I emailed him a while back, having founf his website, and got no reply. The price was Stg 200.
http://www.classicmotorcyclespares.com/index.php/default/engine/classic-bike-engine-casings-covers/fuel-tap-1-4-x-1-4-with-reserve-facility.html#Engine used to do this but is out of stock.
They are a nightmare to obtain at a reasonable price. I gave up bidding on a USA one at $365.
There is a BSA A10 variant of the outer primary for alternator models and that will be rarer still. Only ever saw one on a South African enthusiast's site.