BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: LIONELSMITH on 12 Jul, 2018, 10:54

Title: Speedometer Drive Gear
Post by: LIONELSMITH on 12 Jul, 2018, 10:54
I am putting a Nova gearbox in my STD A10, it does not come with the speedometer drive gear. I went down to see Len Haggis to buy a new STD gear and driven gear after trying email, but, I think from his reaction he only orders for the RRT2 boxes. I cannot find other suppliers. I have tried to remove my current gear by drifting with a metal rod, with heat to no avail, the retaining pin has all been drilled and drifted out. The really annoying thing was that I drifted it in.

Has anyone advice on how I can get the speedometer drive gear out from the layshaft and for that matter how to get it in straight when refitting?
Title: Re: Speedometer Drive Gear
Post by: JulianS on 12 Jul, 2018, 11:35
Not much help but they usually pull out without much force.

When putting the gear in they often need to be redrilled as the holes dont always line up. I think the shank is soft compared to the worm.
Title: Re: Speedometer Drive Gear
Post by: LIONELSMITH on 06 Aug, 2018, 11:01
Thank you Julian

In desperation I bought gears from India, only £30 ish delivered. The gears measure up well but as you said the hole in the drive gear is about 40 thou too far back leaving the gear proud. I cannot redrill this as is (the gear will move) but will need to turn 90 degree and drill a new hole, it is possible.

However, the driven gear shaft has not been squared off to take the cable. Is this a heat and hammer or a specialist job. I need to decide whether to return or accept a discount.
Title: Re: Speedometer Drive Gear
Post by: JulianS on 06 Aug, 2018, 14:09
It will be difficult to square properly.

If it was mine I would get my money back.