BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: apb on 09 Jul, 2018, 19:40

Title: Cables
Post by: apb on 09 Jul, 2018, 19:40
I've had a choke cable fail, the soldered nipple has come off the end. luckily the engine wasn't running so I managed to fish it out of the carb. This is the second one that this has happened too, both from different suppliers but similar packaging so maybe from the same manufacturer. I'm not heavy handed or anything when tightening the cable to raise the slide so it's a bit disappointing especially as it could have caused serious problems.

Can anyone recommend a good quality cable source?
Title: Re: Cables
Post by: JulianS on 09 Jul, 2018, 20:24
Buy the raw materials and make your own, that way they are just right for your bike.
Title: Re: Cables
Post by: ChrisG on 10 Jul, 2018, 10:40
Or, insist on Doherty Cables. They are made in Birmingham and I've never had a problem with them.
Title: Re: Cables
Post by: Straw Bear on 10 Jul, 2018, 14:55
I too had a new choke cable nipple fail on my first outing  - I was stranded so I thought I dont need the choke as I only ride during summer and starts easily so I removed the choke slide/parts and blanked off the choke cable hole. Problem solved!
Title: Re: Cables
Post by: A10 JWO on 10 Jul, 2018, 16:01
There is so much stress on these cables as the are always tight. I release mine when I am not using the bike.