BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Charles R on 03 Jul, 2018, 13:21

Title: Steering bearings replacement - A65
Post by: Charles R on 03 Jul, 2018, 13:21
It's clear that tapered bearings are better suited than the original ball bearings in the A65L (1970) steering assembly.

Replacement bearings are available, but they seem rather expensive at over £50 for the pair.

Is there a more economic solution?

Does anyone know the dimensions for these bearings?

Cheers, Charles
Title: Re: Steering bearings replacement - A65
Post by: Jackson on 03 Jul, 2018, 14:48
I've just replaced them on my plunger A10. Using the SRM kit - about £43 I think and a good deal of advice from Greybeard and others on the forum, but that was about getting the old ones off. I believe that they are the same on both bikes. There is a small amount of machining to do on mine which you won't have to do. They seem excellent. Went in a treat after freezing. I haven't ridden it yet - need to finish rebuilding the engine.
Adrian.
Title: Re: Steering bearings replacement - A65
Post by: A10 JWO on 03 Jul, 2018, 16:47
The A65 OIF Bearings are £12 a pair on ebay. I bought a set last winter, they were a decent make; thrown the box away so don't remember the make sorry.
Title: Re: Steering bearings replacement - A65
Post by: Charles R on 04 Jul, 2018, 18:45
Thanks guys,

The bearings from SRM are just over £49.

The OIF steering bearings, I believe, are a different size and will not fit.  My A65L is pre-OIF.

Cheers, Charles
Title: Re: Steering bearings replacement - A65
Post by: Ken Oaff on 12 Jul, 2018, 07:54
oif steering head bearings are under £5 each off ebay

NTN bearings which are half the price of Timkin


Title: Re: Steering bearings replacement - A65
Post by: Charles R on 19 Jul, 2018, 15:16
Took the plunge & bought the headstock taper bearings from SRM at £54 inc postage.

Quite expensive, but I hope they'll be fit and forget!

Charles
Title: Re: Steering bearings replacement - A65
Post by: Ken Oaff on 22 Jul, 2018, 20:50
somebody must have the bearing numbers for these

once you have the bearing numbers any bearing stockist can supply them
Title: Re: Steering bearings replacement - A65
Post by: JulianS on 22 Jul, 2018, 22:33
They are not a standard size, the outers are machined to fit the frame and the inners to fit the yoke stem.