I have had to strip the engine in order to replace timing side bush whilst I had it stripped I decided to renew the ball and spring next to the bush. I have bought a new ball and spring but the new spring is not the same as the old one as can be seen in the photo attached it is made of thicker wire and is a lot stronger than the original. My question is should I use the new spring and ball or should I keep the old spring and just use the new ball. The new spring is on the right. The supplier of these parts is MCA for obvious reasons I need to get this right as I don't want to strip the engine down again and could the new spring cause any problems. Thankyou.
Hi,
I would obtain a new spring with the characteristics of the old spring.
As an aside, I believe you can change the arrangement as per the A50/A65 which means it can be serviced without splitting the crankcase in future (confirmation needed here). If it can be done it seems a better solution to me.
Best wishes...
SRM end feed conversions relocate the ball as per A65.
Have recently split my end fed cases will measure and post some photos over next few days.
Following measurements;
Crankcase from oil pump joint surface to inside by the keyhole shaped hole seen in photo 1 = approx 1.5 inches.
From crankcase oil pump joint surface to shoulder in top right hole = approx 0.69 inch x approx 5/16 diameter.
From crankcase oil pump joint surface to inside end of grub screw in top right hole = approx 0.75 inches.
The grub screw is then about 0.75 inches long. It blanks off the original oilway from pump to main bush/big end/PRV, the SRM conversion using the modified oilway indicated with an arrow.
It would need an alternative longer spring and original grub screw to use A65 setup on a bushed A10 engine.
I have ordered a new spring and ball from a different supplier on ebay and the photograph shows the spring to be the same as the original and I have counted the number of coils and it is the same as the original.