BSA Owners' Club Workshop Discussions

The BSA Workshop => Twins => Topic started by: Charles R on 29 Jun, 2018, 21:25

Title: A65 crankshaft shim size "calculation"
Post by: Charles R on 29 Jun, 2018, 21:25
I read in the Clymer service & repair handbook that the crankshaft end float can be calculated from dimensions stamped on the crankshaft and on the case.

The stamping on the crankshaft flywheel shows 0.792" whilst the stamping on the case shows 0.369".  The difference is, therefore, 0.423" which is clearly wrong.

Have I misinterpreted the statement in the Clymer book (page 56)?

I've attached photos of the two stampings.

Cheers, Charles
Title: Re: A65 crankshaft shim size "calculation"
Post by: Servodyne on 29 Jun, 2018, 23:23
Hi there
The crankcase stamping you are looking for is at the front of the engine below the front engine mount. The one in your photo is one half of the matching crankcase numbers.
Cheers
Jim
Title: Re: A65 crankshaft shim size "calculation"
Post by: Charles R on 30 Jun, 2018, 09:39
Thanks Jim

I feel a bit of a dummy falling for the crankcase number!

The stamping on the  crankcase is 803, ie 0.803", see photo.

I should also have read the Clymer book more carefully as it does state "subtract the shaft number from the case number", whereas I did it the other way!

So, the answer is now a sensible 0.011".  When I get round to reassembling the engine, I'll need to make sure I have shims to achieve 0.002" float, so 0.009" or thereabouts.

Thanks again for your extremely helpful reply.

Cheers, Charles
Title: Re: A65 crankshaft shim size "calculation"
Post by: Caulky on 30 Jun, 2018, 09:57
So, you need .009" of shims for .002" float, same as mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnwE3QgWidY
Title: Re: A65 crankshaft shim size "calculation"
Post by: Charles R on 30 Jun, 2018, 10:03
Thanks Caulky.

Yes, your stampings are the same as mine.

Interesting & useful video clip as I had wondered how to "move" the crankshaft to establish end float.

Cheers, Charles